netnative
(junior member)
04/25/13 03:56 PM
Re: Setting-up a 13.3" Samsung Series 7 Ultra (NP740U3E-A01UB)

After waiting for the Crucial m4 256GB mSATA SSD drive to be in stock and delivered, I finally opened my Samsung Series 7 Ultra and installed the Crucial 2-channel kit (2 x 4GB DDR3 non-ECC PC3-12800 1.35V 204-pin SODIMMs) that I had previously purchased together with the new 256GB SSD drive. Opening the Samsung Series 7 Ultra was not difficult thanks to Lisa's video. And the mSATA SSD drive was easily replaced without removing the ribbon cable.

I created a GUID partition with Windows Disk Management and cloned the Samsung SSD drive with the Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 Suite. The Paragon Copy Hard Disk Wizard resized the C: drive partition automatically and took care of the proper alignment for the 5 partitions.

With the Crucial upgrades my Windows Experience Index (WEI) results are now as follows:

Processor - 6.9
Memory (RAM) - 7.4
Graphics - 5.7
Gaming graphics - 6.4
Primary hard disk - 9.1

They compare favorably with WEI results for the Asus Zenbook Prime Touch UX31A that were shown in Lisa's review.

Processor - 6.9
Memory (RAM) - 5.9
Graphics - 5.5
Gaming graphics - 6.4
Primary hard disk - 8.1

I noticed two things. Samsung Settings lost the Battery Life Extender setting which suggests that the setting did not reside in any of the 5 partitions but was hidden elsewhere in the SSD. This is inconsequential since Samsung Settings accepted the Battery Life Extender setting again.

Also, whereas prior to the SSD replacement I was able to see all 5 partitions for drive optimization (TRIM), now only the C: drive is shown. In Windows Explorer click on Local Disk C: > Properties > Tools > Optimize. This might be an issue if TRIM will no longer be performed automatically by Windows on the other partitions. Any thoughts?

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage