LisaG
(Head Honcho)
05/08/13 08:46 PM
Re: Samsung S7 Ultra Setup for a Newbie

Yep, upgrading RAM works the same as in the old days.

If you want to make a backup, I highly recommend using Samsung Recovery. It can makes a bootable backup of the recovery partition in case you want to restore the machine to its factory state at some point. You'll need a 32 gig USB flash drive in my experience, even though the backup uses around 16 gigs (it will fail with a 16 gig flash drive but works fine with a 32 gig drive).

If you want to install Windows 8 Pro rather than the OS image that came with the machine, I wouldn't recommend using a restore function afterward because you'll get driver mismatches and there are differences between Win 8 Home Premium that comes with the machine and Win 8 Pro. Just back up your personal files instead and plan on re-installing any apps you've added. You'll want to download Samsung Update from their website: that's the app that downloads all the drivers and if you like it can also reinstall the bundled programs (you can pick and choose among the apps).

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage