LuxSplendens
(junior member)
01/16/13 10:20 PM
New Laptop for University

I'm entering university next year and I'm looking for a new laptop for my studies and in general for home use. I'm not an overly demanding user, as I will not be using 3D development applications or intensive media creators (video editing), but during the summer, I would like to be able download the latest games and play them preferably at a medium setting. I do not purchase computers often, so I would like for it to be powerful enough for the next 3-4 years. But regardless, since it will be carried around often, I'm looking for models that are lightweight, decent battery life and a good keyboard. High durability is not required, but would be nice to have.

The two models I have in mind are the Sony S13 Premium and the Lenovo Thinkpad T430s.

The Sony S13 Premium is the predominant option I'm considering. One major aspect of the S13 is that there are no major drawbacks in buying this computer: decent battery life, decent screen, good keyboard, great graphics, quite fast when customized, and has a wide selection of ports. If it is entirely made out of carbon fiber and not simply the lid being made of carbon fiber, then it should be one of the most durable laptops next to the Thinkpad line. The Vaio Z supposedly can handle drops from a moderate height as shown on YouTube, which to my preferences, is very durable and so should the S13P if it is made of the same material. I am not the least bit concerned about the S13's weak speakers though, since I have a decent set of speakers.

On the other hand, the T430s has a 14 inch screen, which offers more screen estate. It has one of the best keyboards, quite fast when customized and is extremely durable. Its battery life is comparable to that of the S13. It has eGPU capability since it can be configured with a Thunderbolt port, so it can connect to an external graphics card, but unfortunately, it supposedly has a fairly bad screen with low color gamut, low contrast, and bad viewing angles. Even the upcoming T431s that Lenovo is planning to release does not seem to have a better screen, since it lists in a leaked user guide that it uses a 1600x900 TN panel, which the T4xx0s series always have had and have progressively gotten worse over the years. They both have the same resolution screen though.

Considering I will predominately use the laptop for my studies during the main year and gaming during the summer, the T430s appeals to me with its legendary keyboard and high durability, as well as the use of the eGPU. However, I am not sure how detrimental a bad screen would be in terms of working with documents and notes on a daily basis. For this reason, the S13P seems to be a better purchase.

My budget is $1200 CAD and I am always open to new suggestions.

Thank you for reading!

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage