barryem
(junior member)
06/06/12 11:02 PM
Samsung Galaxy Players review: comments

I'm a new member of this forum. I want to make a comment about the recent video review of the two new Samsung Galaxy Players and this seemed to be the only way to do it, so I joined. It looks interesting and I may find that I'm glad I did. I enjoy forums.

I've been watching this site's video reviews for a long time and I think they're among the best tech reviews I've seen.

Recently in another forum we had a little discussion of these players which migrated into a discussion of tech reviews and reviewers. I posted a link to the review of these players as an example of how I thought reviews should be done, giving opinions of products but focusing on the things the intended target audience will care about and not just the things the reviewer cares about. I think you do that very well as a rule.

In this case, however, the reply to my add pointed out that you had very little, almost nothing, to say about the audio quality of these devices and they're being sold as "players", meaning audio and video. You really didn't discuss their major function.

I thought back about other reviews on this site and I realized that their main weakness is just that. There's very little mention of sound quality. I've bought several tablets, always online because I'm without car in a rural area, so I have to go by reviews. When you get me interested in a tablet I have to spend time getting some idea from forums or other sources about it's speakers.

Most of the reviews I've watched have involved tablets, a major interest of mine, so I didn't think too much about that, even though sound quality, speaker quality in the case of a tablet, is very important to me. I don't own a TV and I watch TV shows mostly on tablets and I want good sound and even more important, lots of sound. You do sometimes mention that a device is particularly loud or particularly soft but that's about it, and it's often not mentioned at all.

Anyway, I'd like to suggest that you spend just a little more time on speaker volume and quality issues in your reviews. And especially for players, but tablets as well.

I don't think I'm alone in watching a lot of video on tablets. I suspect the speakers are pretty important to a lot of people. These things do have a reputation for being content consumption devices.

Something I'd really like to see, although this isn't the point of this post, is a video review comparing the speakers of several devices.

I do hope you'll accept that this is meant as constructive and not as complaining. I'm a big fan of your reviews and I really do think they're about the best around.

Barry

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage