We will be at a Sprint pre-sales party for the Palm Pre the day before the Palm Pre goes on sale and we will bring you some info and video clips of the event. In the mean time, Sprint's pricing plans for the Palm Pre have been leaked and the voice/data plan for the Palm Pre is said to start at $69.99 (for Everything Data and 450 calling minutes/month). The plans also include the $99.99 unlimited data and voice as well as Sprint's Business tiered plans that range fro 400 minutes to 4000 minutes calling plan plus messaging and data.
With Sprint launching the Palm Pre before Apple launching the next generation iPhone, Industry reports are showing the reason why. In the April metrics report from AdMob Mobile, we see that 59% of the US smartphone traffic comes from the iPhone. Though the report is only on smartphones which is the fastest growing segment in mobile phone sales, the report tells a tale that puts Apple and the iPhone in a very bright spot:
- Of the 7.5 billion AdMob ads displayed on mobile devices in 160 countries around the world, 2 billion were displayed on iPhones or iPod touche
- The iPhone OS has only 8% of global smartphone market share, but generates 43% of mobile Web requests and 65% of HTML usage
- In the United States, 20% of ad requests come from iPhones, 14.8% from iPod touches (globally, those numbers are 15.1% and 11%, respectively)
- Apple?s share of U.S. ad requests grew 5.6% month over month
- The iPhone?s share grew 3% in April; the iPod touch?s grew 2.6
Palm and Sprint will need a very strong launch and continuing growth to compete in the consumer smartphone category.
Palm Pre vs. the next iPhone specs
While Palm has released the detailed specs for the Pre, we see only rumored iPhone specs.
The Palm Pre has
EVDO rev. A
Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP
8 gigs of storage
Fast new Texas Instruments OMAP3430 CPU
320 x 480 touch screen with multi-touch capability. The touch area extends to the area below the display.
3.5mm stereo headset jack
Palm's slide to silence control
slide-out QWERTY keyboard
Rumored iPhone specs:
* 32 GB of storage (up from a max of 16 GB)
* a 3.2 megapixel autofocus (as opposed to fixed focus) camera
* a 600 MHz CPU (up from 400 MHz)
* 256 MB of RAM (up from 128MB)
* a digital compass and FM receiver.
Both phones have exclusivity with the carrier; the iPhone is exclusively on AT&T and the Palm Pre is exclusively available on Sprint till at least the end of this year. AT&T has much larger customer base.
With Palm recruiting ex-Apple executives, the two companies are talking tough at each other. Earlier this year, Apple COO Tim Cook?s replies when asked about the Pre at the company?s quarterly earnings calls.
?We think competition is good,? he said in January. ?It makes us all better. And we are ready to suit up and go against anyone.
?However,? he added, his voice rising, ?we will not stand for having our IP [intellectual property] ripped off, and we?ll use whatever weapons that we have at our disposal.?
Palm responded with:
?If faced with legal action,? a spokesperson told Digital Daily, ?we are confident that we have the tools necessary to defend ourselves.?
Competition is indeed good for the consumers. We are all eager to see what plays out in the next few months. Watch this space next week for more Palm Pre related reports.
To read our latest phone reviews please visit:
Samsung Trance for Verizon
Nokia E71x for AT&T
Samsung Impression for AT&T
Samsung Instinct S30 for Sprint
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Touch Screen Phone
LG Rumor 2 for Sprint
Palm Treo Pro for Sprint
LG Versa for Verizon
More News. . .
Powered by UBB.threads™ 6.5.5