Stereospeaker
(junior member)
06/13/08 03:30 PM
WiFi hotspots too hot?

What happens when you get too many WiFi networks in an area? Does it damage the hardware because the signal gets too strong?

Stereospeaker

LisaG
(Head Honcho)
06/14/08 02:39 AM
Re: WiFi hotspots too hot?

No it doesn't damage the hardware. But if the hotspots are broadcasting on the same channel they may interfere with each other and degrade the signal.

Stereospeaker
(junior member)
06/16/08 07:59 AM

Ok thanks.

How do I know its the signal being degraded and not my ISP playing up?

Stereospeaker

LisaG
(Head Honcho)
06/16/08 03:11 PM

You'd need to use a software tool (program) that surveys all hotspots in range and reports the channel each is broadcasting on. So if you see there are 2 other hotspots broadcasting on your router's channel, it's not an ISP issue and it would be a good idea to change your router to a less crowded channel.

Stereospeaker
(junior member)
06/16/08 03:18 PM

Why 2? Can't it handle more than that on each channel?

LisaG
(Head Honcho)
06/17/08 04:31 AM

Well, yours and 2 others make 3 on a channel, and that is enough to potentially cause noticeable interference. If possible, it's certainly worth checking and changing your router's WiFi broadcast channel (if possible- urban locations like NYC and London can make channel pollution hard to avoid).

Stereospeaker
(junior member)
06/17/08 02:36 PM

So, if I wanted to use Skype on it, then, I really need to make sure that there less than 2 others? Couldnt I jus buy a better router?

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage