Fahad
(member)
04/15/04 10:53 PM
CPU Clockspeed software - Is it adviceable to use such application ?

Hi every one !

I have seen a post at palminfocenter.com, regarding an application which can be used to change the clock rate of the CPU of any Palm OS 5 device. I want to know, if it really brings any change in the performence of such devices ? In my opinion its a little risky to alter such configurations of the device. But I am looking for an expert opinion.

Looking forward to your reply !

Regards.

click here if you like to see the origonal post at plaminfocennter.

LisaG
(Head Honcho)
04/16/04 03:52 AM
Re: CPU Clockspeed software - Is it adviceable to use such application ?

They do indeed improve performance. But if you don't use more than the standard PIMs and/or working with Word and Excel docs, it probably won't make much of a difference. If you play videos, view large images and play intensive games (esp. emulators) you will appreciate the speed improvement.

Tanker_Bob
(PDA Addict)
06/13/04 12:48 AM

I use PXAClocker Pro 3.1 on my Tungsten|T3 with no problems. Most folks use such apps to slow apps down that don't need the extra speed and save battery life. For slower devices, overclocking can accelerate CPU- or memory-intensive programs. How much difference it makes depends on what programs you use. Like all software, try it for a while to see if it does what you want.

Dan_42
(veteran)
11/02/04 08:41 AM

Newbie question - out of curiosity's sake...

Is it actually possible to damage your Palm if you overclock things to a rediculously fast speed?

I mean, PC cpus that are overclocked normally require extra cooling measures...is this not a concern with a PDA?

Tanker_Bob
(PDA Addict)
11/02/04 12:31 PM

Well, I wouldn't advise doing anything absurd in any case. Generally, the CPU will lock up before anything permanent happens, but I wouldn't bet my $399 on it. Start gradually increasing the speed on a single application that exercises the system. I used Speedy as my test app. Moderation and caution in all things...

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage