LisaInSimi
(junior member)
10/10/07 08:34 PM
Which PDA/smartphone best for world travel?

My husband and I are going backpacking through the S. Pacific, Asia, and the Mediterranean. I want to keep a blog and would (I think) like to be able to keep a journal in something like Word. Would be ideal to have the capability to type on a QWERTY keyboard. Would also like to have a phone in case of emergency. No camera necessary. I'm considering the HTC Advantage but it's kind of pricey and I don't know if you can actually type on the keyboard. I'm open to a smaller PDA/smartphone if I can buy a plug in keyboard. Any ideas? Thanks

LisaG
(Head Honcho)
10/11/07 02:16 PM
Re: Which PDA/smartphone best for world travel?

Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun! While you can't touch type on any PDA or PDA phone, it is easier on the Advantage thanks to its larger keyboard. And the larger VGA display means you can see more of what you're typing.

Given the travel locations, you need GSM, so that narrows it down a bit. If you wanted to go the Bluetooth keyboard route, using the Think Outside Bluetooth kebyoard (reviewed on our site) which is still the most popular, the E-TEN X500+ might be a good choice. It also has a VGA display, phone and a GPS which could be handy when traveling. http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/Glofiish-X500-plus.htm . It sells for $550 or so.

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage