groucho
(junior member)
09/19/08 08:45 PM
which smartphone to buy?

Hello all,

I'm interested in getting a smartphone but I'm not sure which to buy. I'd like to stay on a GSM network since I travel internationally, so that means staying on AT&T or T-Mobile. I don't care about bells and whistles so long as I can check my email in a reasonable interface. If I get a wifi enable phone, can I opt out of my service provider's network and just use available wifi for internet and email, or do I have to subscribe to whatever email network service?

Thanks!

angelicman
(member)
09/19/08 08:49 PM
Re: which smartphone to buy?

I think you can just use the available wifi. If you are in the area where wifi is widely available, that might be the way to go.

groucho
(junior member)
09/19/08 09:19 PM

Thanks. Although I'm kind of confused, T-mobile said I had to buy their wifi@home plan, but AT&T says the phone should work wifi without purchasing any plan. Are they just trying to upsell? It seems like no two phone reps say the same thing.

LisaG
(Head Honcho)
09/19/08 10:30 PM

Sounds like they're trying to up-sell you. There's no need to get T-Mobile's @Home service unless you want to make Internet-based calls using the phone (the @Home service is similar to VoIP like Skype).

Sewer48
(junior member)
01/19/09 04:14 PM

I have Verizon Service. If I buy a phone with WiFi capability, does Verizon block the capacity unless you purchase an internet service? thanks.

LisaG
(Head Honcho)
01/19/09 07:04 PM

No, Verizon doesn't block WiFi use in any way. No data plan is required to use WiFi.

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage