Curandy
(member)
02/15/12 12:32 PM
16GB turns out to be 12.6

Hi, I have had my Transformer for a few days now. So far so good. Typingthis with it. One thing though.... what's up with the memory 16GB turning out to be 12.6 GB??!
Is that Android's fault or the tab? My bet would be the os. Is this not VERY inefficient use of space???

Jacob_Spindel
(Moderator and writer)
02/15/12 05:23 PM
Re: 16GB turns out to be 12.6

There are zillions of articles about why every disk seems smaller than it "should" be, such as this, this, and this, but besides that, you have to remember that any operating system has to use up some of the available storage space for cache files, cookies, preferences, user data, and miscellaneous evil gremlins.

Curandy
(member)
02/15/12 08:13 PM

I am no newbie to computersso whats in those links is not new to me. I am new to Android and the whole tablet thing and definitely new to losing over 20% of advertised space. That is much more than what you nprmally see on a hard drive....

LisaG
(Head Honcho)
02/15/12 10:04 PM

Several gigs are reserved for the OS itself and room for future firmware updates in Android. For better or worse, it's typical of Android devices.

Curandy
(member)
02/16/12 10:17 AM

ah ok, I get it. Thx!

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage