Jacob_Spindel
(Moderator and writer)
08/10/08 11:22 PM
iPhone News: $1,000 Prank App Sells Eight Copies

Apple's App Store for the iPhone and iPod touch features a variety of programs at a range of prices - but even though many games cost $10 or less, and some apps are 99 cents or even free, it seems like there is always at least one user who complains that an app costs too much.

Armin Heinrich says he was simply parodying this fact when he released "I Am Rich" on the App Store at a cost of $1,000. The program does nothing other than displaying a ruby on the iPhone screen. However, the situation didn't seem so funny after the App Store recorded eight purchases for "I Am Rich."

Some users report buying the app by mistake or using the "One-Click" purchase feature, not thinking the purchase would actually go through. In fact, two of the sales have already been refunded, with Heinrich stating that he doesn't mind if the buyers' money is refunded.

Apple has not commented about "I Am Rich" at this time, but it appears that the program is no longer listed on Heinrich's page on the App Store.

-----------------------------------------------------

To read our latest iPhone 3G articles please visit:

iPhone 3G In-depth Review
iPhone 3G First Look
iPhone 2.0: Untold Story
Cruising the Apple Apple Store
iPhone 3G Videos

More News. . .

-----
MTR News

Jacob_Spindel
(Moderator and writer)
02/25/09 12:47 PM
Re: iPhone News: $1,000 Prank App Sells Eight Copies

It's BACK, for Android!!

http://www.cyrket.com/package/com.blau.android.richer

LisaG
(Head Honcho)
02/25/09 12:52 PM

And for the bargain price of $200 . I guess open source operating systems get a price break?

Jacob_Spindel
(Moderator and writer)
02/25/09 01:23 PM

Yes, some people have said that it doesn't make sense for "I Am Rich" to be $999 while "I Am Richer" is only $200 - but they are both simply charging the maximum prices allowed by their respective stores.

Jacob_Spindel
(Moderator and writer)
10/18/09 10:21 PM

This story just won't go away! Now this app has not only been approved, but somehow its first three reviews are all for five stars!

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage