Apple today announced the public beta of Safari 4 web browser for Mac and Windows PCs. Here is more info:
Safari for Mac, Windows, iPhone and iPod touch are all built on Apple?s WebKit, the world?s fastest and most advanced browser engine. Apple developed WebKit as an open source project to create the world?s best browser engine and to advance the adoption of modern web standards. Most recently, WebKit led the introduction of HTML 5 and CSS 3 web standards and is known for its fast, modern code-base. The industry?s newest browsers are based on WebKit including Google Chrome, the Google Android browser, the Nokia Series 60 browser and Palm webOS.
* Innovative new features in Safari 4 include:
* Top Sites, a display of frequently visited pages in a stunning wall of previews so users can jump to their favorite sites with a single click;
* Full History Search, where users search through titles, web addresses and the complete text of recently viewed pages to easily return to sites they?ve seen before;
* Cover Flow, to make searching web history or bookmarks as fun and easy as paging through album art in iTunes;
* Tabs on Top, for better tabbed browsing with easy drag-and-drop tab management tools and an intuitive button for opening new ones;
* Smart Address Field, that automatically completes web addresses by displaying an easy-to-read list of suggestions from Top Sites, bookmarks and browsing history;
* Smart Search Field, where users fine-tune searches with recommendations from Google Suggest or a list of recent searches;
* Full Page Zoom, for a closer look at any website without degrading the quality of the site?s layout and text;
* built-in web developer tools to debug, tweak and optimize a website for peak performance and compatibility; and
* a new Windows-native look in Safari for Windows, that uses standard Windows font rendering and native title bar, borders and toolbars so Safari fits the look and feel of other Windows XP and Windows Vista applications.
Pricing & Availability
Safari 4 is a public beta for both Mac OS X and Windows and is available immediately as a free download at www.apple.com/safari
Read our iPod and iPhone product reviews:
More News. . .
Powered by UBB.threads™ 6.5.5