LisaG
(Head Honcho)
10/21/10 10:44 AM
Barnes & Noble Nook coming to a Walmart near you

Yes, there are a bazillion Barnes and Noble stores in the US, but that doesn't mean there's a store near you. So starting October 24, you'll be able to score a Nook ebook reader at any of 2,500 Walmart stores and from Walmart.com. We expect it will snuggle up next to the Sony Readers under the glass counter in Walmart's electronics section.

Walmart will carry both the 3G and WiFi-only models.

-

Jacob_Spindel
(Moderator and writer)
10/21/10 11:31 AM
Re: Barnes & Noble Nook coming to a Walmart near you

Seriously? Aren't they releasing a new model on the 26th?

LisaG
(Head Honcho)
10/21/10 12:04 PM

They're having a press event of some kind, but so far there's no mention of a new product. So who knows what's going to happen on the 26th...

Jacob_Spindel
(Moderator and writer)
10/21/10 12:12 PM

True... but I still wouldn't want to be working at Wal-Mart's return counter on Tuesday...

LisaG
(Head Honcho)
10/21/10 12:32 PM

Since the Nook has been out for a year, I bet Walmart doesn't get a stampede of purchases. This looks more like a counter to Kindle hitting Target stores.

LisaG
(Head Honcho)
10/22/10 09:03 AM

Looks like there may be a Nook with a full color display (not just a bottom navigation screen in color). It also looks like it will be an LCD Android-based device rather than E-Ink given the lack of shipping color E-Ink displays and the relatively low $249 rumored price.

Jacob_Spindel
(Moderator and writer)
10/22/10 04:49 PM

That's what I heard too. It would make sense if the new device were a supplement to the existing one rather than a replacement for it.

Except that the existing device doesn't have a "pearl" display - but maybe they are just going to add that quietly at some point.

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage