Tong Zhang
(Senior Editor)
06/14/11 02:59 PM
Apple Sells Unlocked GSM iPhone 4 Directly

Apple has started selling the unlocked GSM iPhone 4 that you can use with any GSM network. The 3G bands haven't changed, folks! So you won't be getting 3G download speeds on T-Mobile US for example, but it's nice to not have to jailbreak and unlock an iPhone 4 just to use it on T-Mobile.

The unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple sells for $649 for the 16GB and $749 for the 32GB and requires no contract. For more info visit: http://store.apple.com/

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our latest phone reviews please visit:

HTC HD7S Video Review
Motorola Droid X2
LG Revolution
Sony Ericsson Xperia Play Video Review
Samsung Infuse 4G on AT&T
Nexus S 4G on Sprint
Droid Charge by Samsung
T-Mobile G2x by LG
T-Mobile Sidekick 4G by Samsung Video Review

More News. . .

----
MTR News

Jacob_Spindel
(Moderator and writer)
06/14/11 04:46 PM
Re: Apple Sells Unlocked GSM iPhone 4 Directly

Wow! I heard a rumor that this was coming, and I must admit I thought it was hogwash.

I can't understand why Apple would do this. The only new carrier it adds for the iPhone 4 is T-Mobile, which 1) won't support 3G with it, 2) might become a division of AT&T in the near future anyway, and 3) probably didn't specifically authorize this move and could potentially react negatively to it.

I can't help but think that the average consumer will see this as a much more expensive option with no real advantages, although it is sort of cool to think that the option is there.

Now, not requiring a contract is a real advantage, but AT&T (theoretically) already offered a no-commitment price option on the locked model, so that's not really a new advantage for this product.

LisaG
(Head Honcho)
06/14/11 04:58 PM
Re: Apple Sells Unlocked GSM iPhone 4 Directly

Lots of folks Jailbreak iPhones just so they can unlock them and use them on other carriers. I personally know quite a few T-Mo users who do this and live with 2G data seemingly happily. I think this is Apple's way of cutting down on Jailbreaking.

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage