Tong Zhang
(Senior Editor)
03/30/12 09:52 AM
RIM Reports Q4 Results and Announces Organizational Changes

Research In Motion Limited (RIM) reported fourth quarter results for the three months and fiscal year ended March 3, 2012 (all figures in U.S. dollars and U.S. GAAP, except where otherwise indicated), with both revenue and device shipment number down. Here are the highlights of the quarter:

-$2.1 billion in cash, cash equivalents, short-term and long-term investments at the end of the quarter, which increased by approximately $610 million in the quarter

-Cash flow from operations of approximately $1.1 billion, up from approximately $900 million in Q3

-Revenue of $4.2 billion, down 19% from the third quarter GAAP net loss in Q4 of $125 million or $0.24 per share diluted; adjusted net income of $418 million or $0.80 per share diluted

-BlackBerry smartphone shipments of 11.1 million in Q4, down 21% from Q3

-RIM to discontinue providing specific quantitative guidance

-RIM provides update on organizational changes

Revenue for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 was $4.2 billion, down 19% from $5.2 billion in the previous quarter and down 25% from $5.6 billion in the same quarter of fiscal 2011. The revenue breakdown for the quarter was approximately 68% for hardware, 27% for service and 5% for software and other revenue. During the quarter, RIM shipped approximately 11.1 million BlackBerry smartphones and over 500,000 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets.

Words from the new CEO Thrsten Heins:

"I have assessed many aspects of RIM's business during my first 10 weeks as CEO. I have confirmed that the Company has substantial strengths that can be further leveraged to improve our financial performance, including RIM's global network infrastructure, a strong enterprise offering and a large and growing base of more than 77 million subscribers. I'm very excited about the prospects for the BlackBerry 10 platform, which is on track for the latter part of calendar 2012. Notwithstanding these strengths and opportunities, the business challenges we face over the next several quarters are significant and I am taking the necessary steps to address them," said Thorsten Heins, President & CEO of Research In Motion. "In addition to delivering the BlackBerry 10 platform and refocusing resources on RIM's key opportunities, such as BlackBerry Mobile Fusion and new integrated service offerings, we will also drive greater operational performance through a variety of initiatives including increased management accountability and process discipline. In parallel, we are undertaking a comprehensive review of strategic opportunities including partnerships and joint ventures, licensing, and other ways to leverage RIM's assets and maximize value for our stakeholders."

Organizational Changes:

Jim Balsillie, former Co-CEO of the Company, has resigned as a Director on the Company's Board.

In addition, David Yach will be retiring from his role as CTO, Software after 13 years with the Company and after 4 years with the company and following an open dialogue on the future of global operations, Jim Rowan, COO, Global Operations, has decided to pursue other interests. The Company is currently undertaking a search to hire a single COO with responsibilities to run the Company's operations.

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our latest smartphone reviews:

ZTE Fury Video Review
Samsung Galaxy Note Review
Motorola Droid 4 Review
Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX Review
LG Spectrum Review
LG Lucid Review

More News. . .

-----
MTR News

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage