Tong Zhang
(Senior Editor)
05/01/15 05:22 PM
Ventev Toughglass Screen Protector for iPhone 6 Plus Review

The Ventev Toughglass screen protector is for people who don't like screen protectors (and everybody else). The Toughglass is sized perfectly to cover your screen without interfering with your case.

Features and Quality

I've been reviewing screen protectors for a number of years now, and it wasn't uncommon to find some that were better than others, and even some that were very, very good. But because I've never had a single scratch on any of my iPhone screens, I was always the skeptic, and never willing to leave them in-place once the review was finished. They always seemed to come between me and my phone in a way that I could never quite get used to, and because I wasn't a believer, I never gave myself enough time to adapt. The other day, however, on my iPhone 6 Plus, I found... a scratch. Thankfully, it was light and located on an upper corner so it didn't really get in my way; but it was there. As is often the case, we never really think we need things until the moment that we do, and then we wish we'd been using them all along. I tried a few standard screen protectors, but I could never quite get rid of all of the bubbles, and was unable to center them properly due to their flexible construction.

Ventev's Toughglass, however, saved my phone from future scratches, and me from my obsessive-compulsive tendencies with things like this. Because it's actual glass, it's rigid, which means no bubbles. Of course, I installed it crooked the first time (just a little), but, again, because of it's rigid construction, I easily pulled it back off and reapplied it; two more times. Once installed, it feels exactly like an uncovered iPhone, and because the edges are pleasantly beveled, I don't even notice it when navigating around the periphery. There is a cutout for the top speaker as well as one for the home button, which means no volume or TouchID issues. Lastly, I never use my iPhone without a case, and change them quite often for review purposes. The Toughglass hasn't interfered with any I've tested (although I can't verify whether or not it works with waterproof cases that form a seal against your glass). Ventev claims the Toughglass has a hardness rating of 9H, but they don't say which scale they're using so I can't be sure of how it compares with various smartphone screens, or competing products. However, based on the fact that Gorilla Glass has a hardness rating of 6-6.5, and sapphire is 9, I'm pretty sure that Ventev's touted 9H is almost certainly on a different scale. Still, any scratches that it receives will be easily fixed by installing a new screen cover; unlike the ever-present and looming scratch on the screen of my iPhone 6 Plus. It's there right now. I can't see it, but I can feel it mocking me.

One last note regarding mobile phone screens: While most things in your purse or pocket won't be able to scratch hardened glass, sand and grit contain quartz, which sits pretty on the Mohs Hardness Scale at 7. This, of course, means it can make mincemeat of any smartphone or screen protector on the market. You have been warned...

Summary

If you're a believer in smartphone screen protectors, this is the one for you. If you're not a believer, well, this is still the one for you. It's dead simple to install, looks great, feels great, and may very well save you from yourself.

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 5
What's Hot: Nearly as scratch-resistant as a smartphone screen (probably). Simple installation. Feels like it's not even there.
What's Not: Nothing.
Price: $34.99
Web site: Ventev

Reviewed by: Tom Slayton

-----------------------------------------------------

Buy it from Amazon

Check out our iPhone Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-Case-Reviews.htm

Check out our iPad Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-Case-Reviews.htm

----

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage