General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2014 Video Review - the 14" Business Ultrabook
      #46206 - 03/21/14 01:18 PM

Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Carbon 14" Ultrabook has been a hit since the first version hit shelves a few years back. Folks have been eagerly awaiting the 4th generation Intel Haswell refresh, and Lenovo took quite some time to release it since other changes were in the works. From the outside, it looks no different from the previous model- sure it's a little thinner and a little lighter, but otherwise it's the same matte black slim and attractive (in a ThinkPad sort of way) skinny laptop we know and love. Inside, Lenovo added more ports, which is no small feat given the reduced height of the machine. The most significant change is the keyboard that ditches the standard Fn row keys for a capacitive adaptive strip that changes context depending on what program you have in the foreground. Messing with the iconic and best of breed ThinkPad keyboard is risky business, and we can't deny that Lenovo is willing to take daring chances with this staid line.

The 2014 X1 Carbon weighs 2.8 lbs. (non-touch screen model) and 3.15 lbs. for the touch screen model. Interestingly, if you want the trendy super high resolution WQHD 2560 x 1440 IPS display, you’ll have to get the touch screen. The non-touch is 1600 x 900 TN only. The display is 14”, and those weights are quite light for a 14” Ultrabook with a durable carbon fiber polymer and magnesium aluminum alloy body. As you’d expect, the X1 Carbon is rigid and strong, despite its fairly slim 0.73” thickness.

The laptop is available with Intel Core i5 and i7 dual core U series CPUs and it uses Intel HD 4400 graphics like most all Haswell generation Ultrabooks. RAM is soldered on board and you can order it with 4 or 8 gigs of DDR3 memory. Lenovo offers a variety of M.2 SSD drives from 128 to 512 gigs, and there is no HDD option. Our review unit has Intel 7260AC dual band WiFi with Bluetooth 4.0 and you can get 3G/4G LTE with a micro SIM card slot via the $280 GOBI 5000 modem option. As you’d expect from a ThinkPad, there’s a fingerprint scanner, and it’s compatible with Lenovo’s OneLink and OneLink Pro docks.

Compared to the last generation X1 Carbon, Haswell brings the expected battery life improvements, and we averaged 2 to 2.7 hours longer runtimes. The 45 Whr battery remains unchanged from the last generation model. The Ultrabook has two USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet via included adapter (it doesn’t use a USB port), full size HDMI, mini Display Port and 3.5mm combo audio. Pricing starts at $1,200 for the non-touchscreen model and $1,300 with a WQHD touchscreen.

Here’s our Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2014 model video review:

Related:

Lenovo ThinkPad X240 Video Review

Lenovo ThinkPad T440s Review

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga Review

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Baaqil

Reged: 02/24/14
Loc: CA
Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2014 Video Review - the 14" Business Ultrabook [Re: LisaG]
      #46212 - 03/25/14 02:56 AM

Hi Lisa,
Is it possible to replace the SSD M.2 with a 1TB SSD M.2? and if yes what would you recommend?
Also, do you plan to compare the new X1 Carbon with the X240?
Thanks in advance.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2014 Video Review - the 14" Business Ultrabook [Re: Baaqil]
      #46213 - 03/25/14 09:25 AM

If you could find one online, sure. I haven't seen any in online stores at that high a capacity yet, though I know Crucial announced an M500 in that capacity in M.2 format. In our X1 Carbon video I did compare it a bit with the X240, I'm not sure if we'll do a comparison video though. Would you like one?

--------------------
Lisa Gade

mxruden

Reged: 04/15/14
Loc: Canada
Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2014 Video Review - the 14" Business Ultrabook [Re: LisaG]
      #46326 - 04/21/14 06:47 AM

Hi, Lisa,
I think you meant 2 USB 3.0 ports, didn't you?

Regards,

Max

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2014 Video Review - the 14" Business Ultrabook [Re: mxruden]
      #46329 - 04/21/14 09:52 AM

Yes, two USB 3.0 ports.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

mxruden

#46349 - 04/24/14 12:45 AM

I just got my new X1 Carbon a couple of days ago. Lisa was right about the screen - it's not bright at all. In fact, looks quite dim, even milky, makes me want to peel of the top layer. Now I can understand why some people do that. It's supposed to be a good quality screen with over FHD resolution. It doesn't look like that at all. I'm looking for an ultrabook with particularly good screen resolution because 1. I got bad eyesight and 2. by now I'm used to image quality of Apple screens. Would like to find similar screen with Windows OS. From this perspective new X1 Carbon is a disappointment. Go figure

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2014 Video Review - the 14" Business Ultrabook [Re: mxruden]
      #46352 - 04/24/14 10:20 AM

Windows programs (desktop programs, not Metro programs) don't all handle scaling with high DPI displays as well as on Mac OS X, so if you have poor eyesight, you might want to stick with full HD 1920 x 1080. The UHD displays result in tiny text and even with Windows scaling set to 150 or 200%, some programs ignore scaling and still have tiny menu text. Sony Vaio Ultrabooks and convertibles have really lovely and sharp full HD displays, and the Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus and Asus Zenbook UX301LA are high DPI models (if you still want to go that route) with a great display. The Acer Aspire S7 and HP Spectre 13 have lovely full HD and UHD options too.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

mxruden

#46357 - 04/25/14 09:00 AM

Thank you, Lisa! I already looked at these Samsung, Sony, Acer and HP models. Didn't know about new Asus, just read and watched your reviews. Excellent reviews, by the way, love them! Asus looks good, except for just too things: don't really care for that glass lid but it's not a big deal; more important is the screen size. I'd like to find something bigger than standard ultrabook 13" screen, for example 15" would be nice. Therefore, I went for X1 Carbon, although it has only 14" screen. And I'd like a high end model with at least 8 GB RAM, 256SSD plus preferably discrete graphics for playing some high demand games like Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty. Therefore, I'm eagerly looking forward to your review of the new Dell XPS 15. And I'm aware of scaling problems with Windows apps and UHD displays. I may forgo UHD resolution if I find really nice, sharp and bright 15" display. That Asus Zenbook screen in your video looked great but, alas, it's only 13 inches. And, oh yeah, I forgot touchscreen. I want touchscreen.

Max

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#46360 - 04/25/14 10:20 AM

Yes, the Dell XPS 15 sounds like a perfect fit. The video review should be out early next week. Or, depending on your tolerance for expensive, the updated Razer Blade 14" model.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11113

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage