Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPhone Game Review: Great Tank War
      #37748 - 07/07/10 04:28 PM

iPhone Game Review: Great Tank War
Reviewed by Spaztrigger

Great Tank War is an amazing game with stupendous 3-D graphics. It comes equipped with intuitive controls, historically accurate tanks, and tons of weapons and armor! Relieve the good old days of blasting through enemies through Great Tank Wars!

Gameplay

Tank geeks rejoice! The future of the free world is in your hands! You must defend it with all the power, in this case, tanks you possess. Great Tank War drops you right into heated tank battles that you might only see on the History channel today with accurate WW II tanks like the Sherman tanks and the German Tiger tanks. While the goal is hefty, the gameplay is easy to master and levels are varied to make things interesting. Like in a real tank battle, it?s all about firepower vs. armor protection. It?s very cool to have different weapons at your disposal: flamethrower, 105mm Howitzer gun, AFV 75mm cannon gun and more. As you feel your way around the battlefield, you learn what weapon to use against the enemy tanks or troops while the while upgrading your own armor to stay alive.

Great Tank Wars has over 20 missions that have various requirements you must fulfill before you can move onto the next mission. These missions include surviving for 2 minutes of enemy?s pounding, kill all enemies before time runs out, defend a position for certain amount of time, and more. To help you complete increasingly difficulty levels, the game offers items and upgrades for both troops and tanks. With all that upgrades, the key for winning is still knowing your weapons and use the right weapon at the right time, all the while dodging bomber planes as well as the threat from ground assaults.

While the action is fun, the gameplay needs a little bit of tweaking. The game relies heavily on replays to earn enough money for upgrades. And believe me, in later levels you will need all the upgrades you can get. But for each time you complete a mission, you earn only 9 gold and upgrades usually cost 200 gold each. So you will need to do a lot of repeating missions. Another thing needs to be fixed is the AI spawn speed: the enemy units spawn too slowly and in missions where you have to meet kill quotas in short time periods the slow spawning speed will ruin your chances to complete them.

The more things you create the complicated gameplay becomes. It certainly is interesting to find out that being a god requires a lot of organization and imagination, and creating things aren?t as easy as it was described in the Bible. Surprise! After you discover all the elements the game gets kind of dull, but getting the 140 elements is not a short journey. And as we are told new updates are on the way so you can expect to discover new elements!

Graphics

The graphics in Great Tank War is gorgeous. The tanks have such detailed 3D rendering that they look almost like exact replicas of the real things. Different weapons have different visual effects when they are fired, and the menu screens and upgrade UI are easy to use and look polished. While the graphics are top-notch, the level design could have been more varied. The battlefields look essentially the same, no drastically different terrains to set up the fights.

The controls are simple and if you know dual stick shooters then you can play this with ease. On the left you have a virtual joystick which allows your tank to move around. On the right you have another joystick which allows you to fire and best of all there are no bugs or glitches.

Sound

The music in Great Tank War doesn't exactly sound like something that you would hear in a war, but then again there are no sound tracks in real battles to compare with either. Nevertheless the music sounds great. Sound FX helps create the environment of tank battles: gunshots, people shouting for backup, bombs being dropped, and missiles being fired. If none of the audio in the game suits your style, Great Tank War offers iPod music playback option. How about a little RuKa Ruka Ali while blasting through your enemy?s thick metal armor?

Conclusion

If you are ever a tank simulation player, you?ve got to try Great Tank War. The gameplay is fun, for the most part, the graphics are great to look at and it?s got ton of replay value. The game launched with $3.99 but it?s on sale now for $0.99. Grab it now before the price changes!!

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: - 5 - Superb 3-D graphics.
Sound: - 5 - Great sound. Option to play your own music.
Controls: - 5 - Easy controls. No glitches.
Gameplay: - 4.5 - Enemies need to spawn faster. Needs to make the items easier to buy.

Playing Hints and Tips:

- Re-do old missions so that you can get more gold, it?s worth it.

- Save up your gold so that you can get more items, obviously.

App Facts:
Developer: Nate Games
Release Date: July 1, 2010
Price: $3.99 (on sale now for $0.99)
Buy App: Great Tank War

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spaztrigger
PDA Addict

Reged: 05/17/10
Re: iPhone Game Review: Great Tank War [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #37750 - 07/07/10 04:44 PM

ios 4 tested, baby!

--------------------
A proud reviewer of MobileTechREview!

GreatTankWar

Reged: 07/21/10
      #37904 - 07/21/10 05:11 AM

Thanks for the review!

As the matter of fact the new version (v.1.1.0) is about to be approved by Apple and hit the App Store. Here are some of the features we've implemented:

Modification of the game balance
Added 25 stages !
Added a Radar Function
Added a Calliope tank !
in-app purchase to:
Unlock every slots $0.99
Charge coin(+100) $0.99
Charge coin(+240) $1.99

Join us on the Great Tank War Official Fan Page - http://www.facebook.com/GreatTankWar to follow the game.

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Re: iPhone Game Review: Great Tank War [Re: GreatTankWar]
      #37910 - 07/21/10 11:06 AM

Nice!!! Radar is a great add-on.

-----
MTR iPhone and iPad Game Reviews

spaztrigger
PDA Addict

#37913 - 07/21/10 12:02 PM

Yes it is

--------------------

GreatTankWar

Re: iPhone Game Review: Great Tank War [Re: spaztrigger]
      #37929 - 07/22/10 06:28 AM

Get Great Tank War v.1.1.0 for FREE!

Today, on July 22-th, 2010 to celebrate the release of the new version we announce the official contest "Bring Fans!"

Bring 10 fans to the official Fan Page on Facebook -?http://www.facebook.com/pages/GreatTankWar?and get Great Tank War for FREE!

We have only?10 FREE copies?- hurry up and do not miss your chance!

The deadline is 12 pm EST July, 30, 2010.

Ask your friends to join the Fan Page and you can also place Like Box or Like Button on your web page to encourage people to join!?

Here is the Like Button code for the page:

<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FGreatTankWar&amp;layout=standard&amp;show_faces=true&amp;width=300&amp;action=like&amp;colorscheme=light&amp;height=80" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:300px; height:80px;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

and the Like Box code:

<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/likebox.php?id=139598369390390&amp;width=300&amp;connections=10&amp;stream=false&amp;header=true&amp;height=287" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:300px; height:287px;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

Feel free to use both to place wherever you believe it will help to spread the world about the game!

spaztrigger
PDA Addict

#37947 - 07/22/10 10:23 PM

Thanks to the new update the game got even better! Like the new radar!

--------------------

GreatTankWar

#37986 - 07/27/10 02:47 AM

You are welcome! We do our best!

spaztrigger
PDA Addict

#37991 - 07/27/10 10:03 AM

NO Problem!

--------------------

carry

Reged: 07/29/10
      #38015 - 07/29/10 06:13 AM

Great Tank War is an amazing game with stupendous 3-D graphics. It comes equipped with intuitive controls, historically accurate tanks, and tons of weapons and armor! Relieve the good old days of blasting through enemies through Great Tank Wars!

Edited by sammy (07/29/10 09:46 AM)

GreatTankWar

Re: iPhone Game Review: Great Tank War [Re: carry]
      #38016 - 07/29/10 06:19 AM

So true!

spaztrigger
PDA Addict

Re: iPhone Game Review: Great Tank War [Re: carry]
      #38039 - 07/29/10 12:19 PM

Quote:

All you did was copy my introduction to the Great Tank War review.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14812

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage