MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> HP iPAQ Pocket PC

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Confused

Reged: 01/01/04
HP 6315 OS
      #14902 - 08/29/04 12:57 PM

Does anyone know if the 6135 is running 2003 second edition? If not, is it possible to upgrade or that has to be done thru T-Mobile? also, does anyone have it and is using it? What do you think? Is it worth it?
Wanted to get it so that we could install Movian VPN and connect to our servers thru our Cisco firewalls, which brings me to that last question. Can you just get the "data" plan from T-Mobile?

Any plans for a review?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: HP 6315 OS [Re: Confused]
      #14931 - 08/30/04 02:16 PM

The iPAQ 6315 runs Windows Mobile 2003 Phone Edition, not Second Edition. HP would have to develop an upgrade and T-Mobile would then distribute it. Since the phone is so new, it's not likely we'd see this right away-- I'm hoping by December, but that's just a guess.

T-Mobile seems to have special data plans for the iPAQ. They're pricey compared to T-Mobile's $20/month Unlimited Internet GPRS plan, but they do include both GRPS and WiFi at T-Mobile Hotspots.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Confused

Re: HP 6315 OS [Re: ]
      #14996 - 09/01/04 07:51 AM

Thanks Lisa. Looking at your reviews I see that you speak very highly of the Verizon's Samsung 1700. Would you consider this device better that the HP? You also mention data speeds which is also a big concern since that would be basically the only use for this PDA. Does the windows phone 2003 support landscape mode for IE?

Thanks

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#15002 - 09/01/04 12:40 PM

I'm not sure I'd say the i700 is better than the iPAQ 6315, but certainly different since they're on two different networks running CDMA and GSM respectively.

You will get faster data speeds on the i700 thanks to Verizon''s 1xRTT network. The Samsung has a faster processor, but the iPAQ has Bluetooth and WiFi built in, so they each have their charms. Both are worth considering, and though the i700 is older, it still offers a great deal of current and desireable features.

Neither have native support for landscape mode. You'd need to check out third party screen rotation software.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#15298 - 09/09/04 11:02 PM

So glad to hear it! It's quite an amazing device, especially the wireless and battery life. Do you have a data plan without voice? I thought the price for Unlimited Internet was always $20 when you have a voice plan of $30 or more.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Confused

#15490 - 09/16/04 09:20 AM

Thanks for the review Lisa. Have one more question for you or anyone out there. With the new version of Movian VPN I tought I was going to be able to use this device to access my company servers. Unfortnately Certicom told me it does not work with Windows Mobile Phone, only Windows Pocket PC. So my question is:
We have Cisco 501 Pix firewalls. The VPN client that comes with windows I've been told will not work with these firewalls. Is there anyone out there who has a solution which will allow me to use a device like the h6315 and VPN into a Cisco 501 pix? I can't beleive that no one is doing this. I have been researching this for quite some time and every time I think I've found a solution I hit a wall.
I don't want to use WiFi or need to find a hotspot to be able to connect. Currently our laptops make use of the Sprint PCS wireless card (found out about it after reading your review, Thanks!) which allows me to connect from anywhere in the US, and then make use of Remote Desktop (Terminal Services) and take care of issues. So as you can see, even though I have the Sony TR3AP laptop which is small, (I need to have some kind of device with me at all times). It was great walking around Vegas recently while on vacation with the Sony and take care of issues anywhere, since the laptop is so small, but it still is no PDA. 3 pounds of equipment plus accesories in 100 degrees weather will kill your shoulder eventually.
So this is why I was looking for a device like the 6315. If there is a hotspot great, if not then make use of the wireless internet...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#15494 - 09/16/04 12:02 PM

The iPAQ 6315 is a Pocket PC Phone and not a Windows Mobile phone- which usually means MS Smartphones like the Motorola MPx200 and Samsung i600. The naming is very confusing and way too similar unfortunately.
So you should be able to use Pocket PC VPN software on it. The iPAQ also comes with VPN software that's supposed to play nice with Cisco hardware.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Confused

Re: HP 6315 OS [Re: LisaG]
      #15662 - 09/21/04 12:10 AM

Thanks Lisa. Explained to the folks at Certicom (Movian VPN) what you said regarding PDA vs SmartPhone and they still said "No, Movian will not work on that Windows Version" will only work with Windows Pocket PC. ?????

Anyone out there who has the windows vpn working with a Cisco Pix?

Thanks again for the help.

Confused

#15767 - 09/24/04 01:22 PM

No, this is not for contacts, etc. This is to use Terminal Services.

Confused

#15915 - 09/29/04 04:24 PM

Thanks for the info. That did save me lots of time as I was going to pick up a 6315 and give it a try. I'm leaning more towards getting a regular PPC, Dell, Ipaq, the new HX4710 is just incredible! it's 2003 SE and also had SD and CF slots, so I'm thinking of maybe a CF solution like the one from Sprint. I have just picked up the new wireless card (Audiovox) from Verizon since they have gone live with their broadband in Fort Lauderdale, and it is incredible! DSL like speed. Too bad it will not work for the PPC platform.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#15922 - 09/29/04 07:19 PM

The hx4700 is a sweet machine, though large. I'm writing a review of it now that I hope to publish tomorrow. If you get the Sprint card, you'll need to get updated drivers from the card manufacturer to work with SE and the hx4700. Users are saying that after the updater data works but not voice though. I'm sure there will be yet another update to fix that problem.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: HP 6315 [Re: ]
      #15952 - 09/30/04 01:43 PM

Well, some of this is personal taste as both units offer many of the same features. I have played with the MPx300 several times earlier this year. It wasn't stable at that point so it did crash a lot. I'm sure the finished version will be stable though. The things I didn't like were the scant 32 megs of RAM (even for a non-power user that's hardly enough space these days) and the thickness of the unit- I like clamshells but it's a chunky monkey. Also the display is quite a bit smaller at 2.8", so you'll need to have good eyes.

Both have similar processors and clock speeds, BT, WiFi and a camera. And each has a keyboard with the iPAQ going for the more traditional (and removeable) snap on thumb keyboard which the Moto has that interesting integrated keyboard that was OK to use. The Moto is geared towards those who are more phone-centric in their needs while the iPAQ is targeted more at PDA users given their industrial designs.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#16170 - 10/08/04 12:09 AM

Don't know why Java would be a problem. I'm using the version of the NetFront browser that comes with a Java runtime and it works just fine.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#17089 - 11/04/04 05:27 PM

That's right the iPAQ 6315 runs Windows Mobile 2003 (not Second Edition).

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: HP 6315 OS Instability [Re: ]
      #17413 - 11/16/04 06:17 PM

Brent,
I wonder if a piece of 3rd party software or perhaps just too many running apps are causing your problems. You might want to get a task manager like the free PocketNav to track and close running programs in case memory is getting low or the CPU is bogging down. I can receive phone calls while the iPAQ is sitting in the cradle connected via ActiveSync.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#17515 - 11/21/04 12:02 AM

You'll need to put ringtones in the windows/rings folder. If you put them in the Windows folder the iPAQ can use them as system sounds/alerts but will only look in the rings subdirectory for ringtones.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

smartphonefan

Reged: 11/21/04
Re: HP 6315 OS [Re: LisaG]
      #17524 - 11/21/04 12:05 PM

Lisa: I read your review. Wonderful.

I am an experienced smartphone user having used the palm based kyocera 6036, 7136, Samsung i300, Treo 300, 270, and 600.

I have really become a critical user of cell phone carriers and have come to the conclusion that what really matters is the quality of cell phone service.

In the past 3 months I have migrated back to Cingular from TMobile. In my region, TMobiles 1900 mhz GSM/GPRS coverage just was not as good as the 850 mhz coverage with Cingular. I became frustrated when my Treo 600 would detect a strong 850 mhz signal from Cingular or 1900 mhz signal from ATT, but the SIM lock would prevent me from using the available network for a voice call, even if there was no TMobile signal. Apparently the roaming agreements between TMobile, ATT, and Cingular only apply to NYC, California, and Northern Nevada. Thanks to my Treo600 being unlocked GSM, I was able to just get a Cingular SIM and I am now happily using my Treo600 in Cingular.

So, I read your review and I am very interested. I really need a quad band phone when I travel. For various reasons I have found the lack of SDIO support for Bluetooth or WiFi limiting with the Treo 600.

My question is simple. How long is the exclusive for the hp iPaq 3615 at TMobile. When will a generic or international iPaq 3615 be available. I want to activate it with no carrier lock on the phone with Cingular.

Thanks.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: HP 6315 OS [Re: smartphonefan]
      #17565 - 11/22/04 02:08 PM

I can understand your frustration with indoor coverage on 1900MHz via T-Mobile. If there's an antenna close to your home, then you can get a great signal indoors, but if not then it's not very usable indoors. In CA, NY and NV T-Mobile and Cingular use joint towers so coverage is the same. That agreement pre-dates the AT&T merger and thus doesn't cover the 850MHz towers recently aquired by Cingular from AT&T. So T-Mo users in those states won't get any 850MHz in the deal.

I haven't heard when the iPAQ 6315 might be offered by other US carriers. Hopefully it will be but Cingular might go with the XDA III instead. Your only alternative would be to buy the 6315 without a contract from HP's site or a store like Fry's, then trying to get it unlocked. There are overseas versions (the 6340 and 6365 I believe) which are the same other than they lack the camera. Those are available from importers such as Expansys.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 29557

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage