Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> HP iPAQ Pocket PC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
vdub
veteran

Reged: 08/14/03
help, major problems
      #7014 - 11/29/03 09:06 PM

i just purchased the 4155 and im already having problems, This is my first pda so im just learning the ropes, ok so here i go

1. i cant active sync. i put my disc into the cpu and followed the directions. after downloading the active sync and outlook, i went back into the folders i put them into and pressed the setup icon and nothing happened. another icon says ipaqwrg, pressed it, nothing happens.
i then plugged in the cradle, nothing happens, i put the i paq on and went to active sync, says its not connected??????
then i tried to look at the user guide. It so stupud they dont give u a paper copy, when i would click on the link for it from the disc, the cpu would freeze and i would get boxes saying an error has occured. It only worked when i opened adobe first and then searched for the manual.

2 ok, i also cant get online. I have a wireless linksys router at home, and i was told al i need to do is turn it on, set up wirelss an d the pda will find the linksys, which it did, stillwhen i try to go to a website, it says its not found.???> what do i do

thanksevery one

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: help, major problems [Re: vdub]
      #7017 - 11/29/03 11:13 PM

When you put the CD in the drive, you should see a screen come up with options such as Start Here, and etc-- choose the top option which should be called something like Start Here. Make sure to run the installers for ActiveSync and Outlook directly from the included CD. Don't copy anything manually to your hard drive. When it asks if you want to open the installer application or save it to your hard drive, choose open, then follow the instructions.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

vdub
veteran

Re: help, major problems [Re: LisaG]
      #7029 - 11/30/03 02:22 AM

lisa your amazing, yup that was the mistake i made..

i still cant figure out my wireless problem tho, at home i have a cable modem and a linksys wireless router, its teh 54g model, but i havce heard it willrun g and b. the bestbuy people said this ipaq will work with this router.
when i tured onteh wireless it recognized my linksys but web pages wont work, it just says pages arent available,
wheni goto settings and connections and add a new modem, it ask for some dial up number....???? i dont know if i m inthe right area? any ideas of waht to do?

also will all 19xx series cases like covertec and innnopocket work with the the 41xx

and lastly how do u transfer stuff over from the cpu to pda, can utransfer pics or music via the syncing wire or is that only for email and stuff from outlook, thanks

vdub
veteran

Re: help, major problems [Re: ]
      #7034 - 11/30/03 02:05 PM

im not even sure what that all means, all i know is when i goto the settings of the wireless the pda is set like this
under my isp it says
my connection for the name and hays compatible on com1 for the modem. , if i pressnext it says to put in a dial up number which i have no ideawhat to putin.
at home ihave a cable modem and the linksys, if someone could give me a stepp by step way to solve this, it would be appreciated

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#7035 - 11/30/03 02:11 PM

If you're using WiFi to connect to your router, then you don't want to use ISP dialup settings (those are for modems, not network cards). Your best bet is to turn on WiFi on the iPAQ and wait for the Pocket PC connection manager to see your network and ask you to join. There are two arrows with an x on the top bar of the screen, and that's where the connection manager pops up from. If it doesn't do this, you'd need to manually get it started by going to connection settings, network card to set it up.

Also, make sure you've turned on WiFi using the iPAQ Wireless application in the Start Menu. If you don't turn the radio on, nothing will happen

If none of this works, you might have to call up Linksys to see if you have to put the router in 802.11b compatability mode and if they know of any issues with PDAs (some G Linksys routers have problems with B on PDAs and need firmware updates).

--------------------
Lisa Gade

vdub
veteran

#7037 - 11/30/03 03:25 PM

ok, here is what i did, i turend onthe pda, and used the drop down screen to goto ipaq wireless, then pressed the orange button that said wlan, it turnedgreen. the little arrows up top stillhave a x next to them . previoisly they didnt have the x when u turned the wlan on, but now it has the x. when i tried to goto a web site, it just says connection cannot be made and tells me to goto settings to change it. but in settings is where it says my isp name and my work network. ? dont know wht to do there.

how do u also send stuff from a cpu to pda, like pics of mp3s.
also do 1900 series cases fit 4155 perfectly, im thinking i wanna get a covertec soon

thanks lisa

vdub
veteran

#7067 - 12/01/03 09:40 PM

ok, check this out, talk about wierd,
i came home from workand plugged inthe pda to the cradle, and the little arrows up top lost the x, and the pda did its synchronization thing.

i turned wireless on from the drop down and the websites worked!!!!!!! BUT when i took the pda off the cradle they didnt, and the little arrrows up top got an X back?????? how does this make any sense, what does being connected to the cradle and the cpu on have to do with being online?

is it maybe online cuz its running off the usb connection??????/

its a home router so there shouldnt be any code or password. i have 3 laptops running wireless with no problem .

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#7075 - 12/02/03 01:33 AM

When a Pocket PC is in the cradle or connected via cable for syncing, it automatically gets a pass-through connection to the Internet if the PC is currently connected to the Internet. It wasn't the WiFi working.

Usually, it's not too terribly hard to get WiFi working. You might give HP support a call so they can walk you through setting up and connecting via WiFi. They don't charge for support when you buy a new unit, which is cool.

Quote:

ok, check this out, talk about wierd,
i came home from workand plugged inthe pda to the cradle, and the little arrows up top lost the x, and the pda did its synchronization thing.

i turned wireless on from the drop down and the websites worked!!!!!!! BUT when i took the pda off the cradle they didnt, and the little arrrows up top got an X back?????? how does this make any sense, what does being connected to the cradle and the cpu on have to do with being online?

is it maybe online cuz its running off the usb connection??????/

its a home router so there shouldnt be any code or password. i have 3 laptops running wireless with no problem .

--------------------
Lisa Gade

vdub
veteran

#7077 - 12/02/03 02:38 AM

lisa, do u think its cuz i am using AOL as my interenet supplier at home i may need to get aol for my pda, as i do with any other cpu using wireless in m y house . is it possible to get aolfor pda?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#7082 - 12/02/03 01:20 PM

Not being an AOL user, I can't tell you. I thought one could connect these days with a broadband AOL connection w/o having to use their connection software.

Quote:

lisa, do u think its cuz i am using AOL as my interenet supplier at home i may need to get aol for my pda, as i do with any other cpu using wireless in m y house . is it possible to get aolfor pda?

--------------------
Lisa Gade

vdub
veteran

#7095 - 12/02/03 08:28 PM

so whats next for me??/

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#7101 - 12/03/03 12:36 AM

Yes, you can.

Quote:

can i use wi-fi without isp? such as just sitting at airport...activate pda and start to serve the net? pls advice

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#7102 - 12/03/03 12:38 AM

I'd suggest giving HP a try and have them walk you through connecting. You can also check out AOL's support site or give them a call first to see if you need to do anything special when using a PDA or computer that doesn't have AOL software installed.

Quote:

so whats next for me??/

--------------------
Lisa Gade

emox

Reged: 09/10/03
      #7104 - 12/03/03 05:32 AM

Quote:

so whats next for me??/

Well, in order to transfer files you do this: In the active sync window on your PC hit explore and it should open a folder. From here youc an navigate to memory cards and the PDA's own internal memory. You can just drag drop file into this. You can also put files in your activesync "my documents" folder that should have been created on your desktop. Files here will be synced when ever you -- duh -- sync your PDA.

Wifi -- I'd do what lisa said and either call HP or check for a firmware (like a driver upgrade) for your router. You might also have to "force" your router to run in B mode by looking for, like lisa said, a b compatability mode.

vdub
veteran

#7121 - 12/03/03 08:47 PM

what i did today was go into connections - advanced - network card and deleted the linksys thing there, and then turned the pda off/on and when i came back on, it recognized the linksys, as it did before, and when i pressed wlan on, it did, yet still,the internet sites just still woulndt load. kept saying this site is unavailable

ill call them on saturday, not much time today, sorry for the repeat, thanks tho

vdub
veteran

#7128 - 12/03/03 10:43 PM

whats vpn,it keeps saying i need to connet to vpn to connnect with my server, could that be my problem

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#7146 - 12/05/03 03:36 PM

A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is what companies sometimes use to provide very secure connections when folks are connecting to company servers from remote locations. You do not need to use a VPN for your home connection to AOL.

Quote:

whats vpn,it keeps saying i need to connet to vpn to connnect with my server, could that be my problem

--------------------
Lisa Gade

vdub
veteran

#7149 - 12/05/03 04:02 PM

todays update

the pda is recognizing the router, and when i was standing right next to the router the pda was getting a fullll signal 4 little green bars going up. yet still i tried to acccess a page and all i got was the page cannot be displayed. aaaarrrggghhhh

if i was to goto my cpu and goto network connections and fidn the router that way, goto properties and see if i can get an isp number would that work if i put that into the pda somehow?

vdub
veteran

#7155 - 12/06/03 01:43 PM

ken, thanks alot for that message, i appreciate your time.

ok, now let me tell u what i did

Quote:

b) WIFI - MY BEST GUESS..YOU HAVE SCREWED UP THE IP..
b-1) Turn on your WIFI router
b-2) Go to 4150 - turn on (green) the IPAQ wireless.
b-3) Under Setting/Connections/(connections)/Add new modem connection - (YOU DO NOT NEED IT -if you use WIFI-forget it completely)/Advance/(network card). Tap on network card. If your 4150 is working, then you will see your router identity.
It will show "wireless networks: ...your router name.... connected ". Or at least it shows "available"

i did all that and the ipaq did recognize the linksys router, and when i pressed the the
<-/-> arrowsup top it gave me 3 bars of signal, yet still when i would goto explorer it would say the page u are looking for cannot be found. the page was yahoo.com.

then what i tried was i went thru all the way to network adaptors and chose thesame one i said and i chose and i looked under ipaqwlan wiresless adapter and i noticed it gave me a ip addreess. 192.168.1.104

this was the server assigned one. so i kept it and still i am a no go with the internet.
when i pressed use specific address it opens up boxes for me to fill out and i dont know what to put in them. so im still stuck

seeing that my ipaq does recognize my router means that there nothing wrong with it right, i was thinking about retruning it, but not sure that would be reason to

vdub
veteran

#7164 - 12/07/03 04:08 AM

ken, i appreciate u takeing time to help

i did this

b) Based on what you said..I still say it is STILL the IP problem...some router has "strange" Dynamic IP distribution....
DO THIS....>>>>>>
Under settings/connections/(connections)/advanced/network card/network adapters/choose -> iPAQ WLAN wireless adapter---> choose button (use server-assigned IP address).

like u said before to do, and still i get this page cannot be displayed

now i did this......
1) Go to setting/.../network card.
2)point on the router ..hold for 2 seconds and choose remove settings.
I would recommend you UNTICK the "Automatically connect....non preferred networks".
3) If you Ok it and then go back again and you see it refreshing "add new services".
4) router appear but it is listed as "available" not the usual "connected"
6) Exit (OK) everything until you reach DESKTOP and switch off.
7) Switch it on.
8) Lauch the IE afresh and 2 possible scenario will appear.
8-1) Dailog box "cannot connect" = you tap DISMISS. But you will see the symbol (white triangle with the circle on top) on the top bar. TAP the symbol. The dailog for CONNECT appears!!!
8-2) It AUTOMATICALLY prompt for CONNECT and later follow by WEP key appears.

and it says the same. i havent gotten a response where is says anythign abt wep yet. i went on my actual cpu and thru netwrok connections found out i do not have wep on.

when on the pda, i removed the router , and turned it off/on, it found the linksys, and asked me to connect. so i did, and now i am trying to get a site,and again, same thing, the page u are looking for cannot be found. it was jsut cnn.com.

thanks,, lets think of something else now. lol

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#7169 - 12/07/03 02:24 PM

Ken, thanks for taking the time to post all of that info

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#7170 - 12/07/03 02:27 PM

vdub, have you contacted AOL to see if you need to do anything special to get an IP address? It may be different from your PCs which are using AOL software to connect.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

vdub
veteran

#7171 - 12/07/03 03:12 PM

yeah, thats my next move, gotta find some time to call them.

just wodnering, how often should a pda be charged, i dont want to over charge. im not usingit much during the day right now

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#7172 - 12/07/03 03:47 PM

That really depends on how much you use it. I try to avoid letting the charge go below 20% for battery health, but beyond that, it's up to how you use it. Generally, you should charge a Pocket PC at least once every 5 days, just in case the battery gets very low.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#7185 - 12/08/03 11:59 AM

When you set up the access point in your home or office, you assign it an SSID (name). With some access points, you can leave it at the default SSID name. The ISP generally has nothing to do with this.

Generally, with PDAs, you can let the PDA auto-discover SDSIDs (access points) in range and that will work (for some Palm PDAs, you enter the name "any" to have it look for any access point in range).

If one is security minded, one can set the access point to not broadcast its SSID (so no one can happen upon it and try to hack their way in). In this case, you have to manually enter the SSID name into the settings on the iPAQ. I doubt that VDUB has set up his access point in this fashion though- it's pretty advanced.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

vdub
veteran

#7193 - 12/08/03 06:09 PM

yeah, i doubt it too, i dont even know what it means,ssdi. when i set up the linksys, i just stuck the disc into the cpu and followeed the directions. One thing i may mention tho, is when i first set up the liinksys, it was ona different cpu that the one we have now. we bought a new one and i never reinserted teh disc into it, just plugged in the cat5 wire, and everything has been going fine, per the laptops using the wireless. its jut the pda that has the issues,

anyone know any places to get medical programs, thanks all

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#7256 - 12/10/03 10:56 PM

Christy,
I don't think there are any SD modem cards available yet.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#7259 - 12/10/03 11:13 PM

No, they all have regulatory circuits that prevent over-charging.

Quote:

My timing's a little off.. but can a pda really be overcharged??

--------------------
Lisa Gade

vdub
veteran

#7323 - 12/13/03 01:33 PM

im still floundering around with no wifi

vdub
veteran

#7331 - 12/14/03 12:54 AM

By the way, how is your system connected to your Broadband provider?
IS this AOL the broadband provider? YES
Is your modem separated from your router/wifi transmitter? YEP
One normally can set the router and modem from the PC...can you do it? YEP
What setting did you put under WLAN? LEMME CHECK, ITS SAYS, UNDER WLAN ADAPTER - THAT I AM CONNECTED WHEN I PUT THE WIRELESS ON. LIKE I ALWAYS SAYD.
What or HOW did you set the SSID section in your router (not your iPAQ)? NOT SURE HOW TO CHECK THIS, ??

I HAVENT HAD A CHANCE TO GO OUT TO A MALL OR SHOP TO GET SOME SIGNAL. I THINK IT IS THE WHOLE AOL THING, BUT I CANT FIND ON THIER SITE, HOW I CCAN BY PASS THAT. SOMEONE OUT THERE MUST HAVE AOL BRAODBAND AND MUST KNW???

WHATS UP WITH THE YELLOW TINT AT ANGLES ON THIS THING

vdub
veteran

#7562 - 12/28/03 08:03 PM

still suffering without my wifi

Ken_Malaysia

Reged: 12/16/03
      #7632 - 01/02/04 02:26 AM

Hi Vdub and all....happy new year

New discovery for wifi...

Just a week ago, my 4150 was detecting various wifi signals while I was travelling.
When I returned home....I had TROUBLE logging on my own WIFI at home.

I do not really know what happened..
The network detected my WIFI but when I tried the internet, I got exactly what you have "page not available...".

I did a number of desperate moves for almost 1 hour and I am still not sure if this is it..when.....finally..I went into 'SELECT NETWORKS' and I chose My ISP for both boxes (there are 2). ...and then it just worked.

However, I am almost sure it is the cache in the Operating system. Somehow...being too smart...it remembers too well...Maybe Microsoft should look into this problem.
It appears not a problem, if we stick to a few regular WIFI providers.

regards

vdub
veteran

#7714 - 01/04/04 07:54 PM

ihave finally moved to a new location whihc is not a aol network. its an apt. building that has according to my linksys network card and my pda, is picking up 3 seperate singles, so i should be able to just use explorer with these, but again there is no aconnection, im thinking it has something to do with wep, what exactly is that, do i need a code to jump into someone elses netowrk??

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#7726 - 01/05/04 12:13 PM

vdub, you would most likely need a WEP key (functions as a password) to join someone else's network.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Ken_Malaysia

#7765 - 01/06/04 11:26 PM

Yep Vdub

If you are trying to "hitch" on others line...
you need their permission or in this case WEP key.
It is just a alpha-numeric number.

If it is meant to be subsribed, then you can register and they give you the WEP key and you can then hitch on their line.

regards

vdub
veteran

Re: help, major problems [Re: Ken_Malaysia]
      #7766 - 01/07/04 01:37 AM

i found a free internet cafe, and guess what, the pda and laptop pic it up like perfect. so i guess it must be the aol at home thats screwing me over,

cant believe no other aol people have said anything about this

Ken_Malaysia

#7916 - 01/13/04 02:28 AM

Congrats!!!

Hope u did not move your house for the sake of getting the 4150 to work....

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#9142 - 03/08/04 12:24 PM

There's the Jeode runtime for $50. It's here: http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=BEXB34AF7AA57DE97527XCF97BD2286A&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=59096&sectionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=jeode

It lists only PPC 2002 on this page, so I'd contact them to ask if it runs on PPC 2003.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 29364

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage