MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> Dell Pocket PC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
cediener

Reged: 12/14/04
Re: Dell Axim X50v Review [Re: LisaG]
      #18131 - 12/14/04 05:00 PM

Appreciate the review .. am getting an x50v for X'mas.
Questions on the CF & SD expansion slots...
...I've seen postings that claim one has an inherently faster data transfer than the other - any truth to that?
...A lot of the newer CF & SD memory cards rate themselves at high speeds - what would be the transfer speed to/from the two slots? Are the currently available cards still slower than the unit? Wouldn't want to buy something too fast to use

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Dell Axim X50v Review [Re: cediener]
      #18133 - 12/14/04 05:37 PM

The difference is that the CF slot data bus is faster than the SD slot data bus. This has nothing to do with the cards themselves but rather the slots.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

MUMFORD

Re: Dell Axim X50v Review [Re: ]
      #18145 - 12/14/04 08:33 PM

Wow, my 1st post here! Hello. I'm about to make my 1st purchase of a PDA device and I need serious help!!!

Perhaps someone can help me, as I would like to make a decision this week between the x30, x50mid, and the x50v.

In reading various on-line reviews of the X50v, most have noted the "below-average video performance" of the device. Incidentally, this also appears to be a similar problem with other VGA models such as the Asus MyPal 730 and the Toshiba e805.

Would it be safe to say that the performance issues experienced by these VGA models is a product of software, drivers, etc. not being up to speed with the capability of the units and if so, will it be only a matter of time before necessary updates are made to take advantage of the VGA capability? Or, perhaps the performance of these units is just a function of the current technology available to PPC's and will only improve as later versions of such models are released in the future.

I would hate to consider purchasing a unit with VGA capability only to suffer from substandard performance --- especially if there is no hope of any near term fixes to fully take advantage of the newer technology.

I don't see myself getting much into gaming, but using the unit more as a PIM, book reader, photo viewer, etc. I also like the capability of the x50v to transmit content to a digital light projector. My gut is telling me that the x30 or even the x50 mid would be the better value and leave me more satisfied (performance wise). Unfortunately, I hate buying "older" design/technology devices (x30) when there is more cutting edge technology available. Any opinions, suggestions would be appreciated on this 1st PDA purchase.

Also, apart from "normal wear and tear", how long (years)should I expect on of these units to last?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#18146 - 12/14/04 08:34 PM

Do you mean typing with an external folding keyboard? If so, I haven't noticed a long lag time compared to other PDAs.

Quote:

Great Review! With the X50v I have heard that when typing (in Microsoft Word, ex.) there is some lag time before a letter actually shows up. Like a delay. Is this true?

Bobby K.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Dell Axim X50v Review [Re: MUMFORD]
      #18148 - 12/14/04 08:58 PM

VGA devices are slower because it requires 4x the processing power form the video chip and 4x video memory compared to standard QVGA devices. So it's mostly a hardware issue and only somewhat a software issue.

Unless you're gaming, the VGA machines are generally decent performers, though the X50v is the slowest at graphics among VGA devices, with the iPAQ hx4705 being the best and the ASUS in the middle. The Dell is a poor performer even though it has impressive graphics hardware because that chip was designed to work with a kind of graphics library not commonly used on Pocket PCs at this time. So in the future things might improve for the Dell if folks decide to write optimized versions of their apps and if Dell improves their driver a bit.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#18149 - 12/14/04 09:00 PM

Some PDAs have screens that work with a soft touch, like many of the iPAQs. Some require a harder touch as with the Dell X50 line. I like soft but some folks prefer hard so it's a matter of personal taste.

Response with the on-screen keyboard and handwriting recognition doesn't have a noticable delay on my X50v.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Raynne413
PDA Addict

Reged: 08/26/04
Loc: Collierville, TN
      #18150 - 12/14/04 09:00 PM

Quote:

---On the internal keyboard - when in Microsoft word - do you notice that you need to press harder on the screen to get a letter to show-up compared to other PDA's? When typing (internal keyboard) do the letters show-up as you touch the keys or is there a delay?

I don't notice a delay at all when in Microsoft word.

--------------------
Got gaming news? Send it to gaming_news@mobiletechreview.com

MobileTechReview
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/

Raynne413
PDA Addict

Reged: 08/26/04
Loc: Collierville, TN
      #18153 - 12/14/04 10:02 PM

I haven't had any sensitivity problems at all. The screen of the x50v is actually more sensitive than my previous PDA, which was the Asus A716. Coming from the Asus, which has a 400 processor, I have not noticed an sluggishness that others have reported. Personally, I love it.

--------------------
Got gaming news? Send it to gaming_news@mobiletechreview.com

MobileTechReview
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/

MUMFORD

#18154 - 12/14/04 10:07 PM

Quote:

VGA devices are slower because it requires 4x the processing power form the video chip and 4x video memory compared to standard QVGA devices. So it's mostly a hardware issue and only somewhat a software issue.

Unless you're gaming, the VGA machines are generally decent performers, though the X50v is the slowest at graphics among VGA devices, with the iPAQ hx4705 being the best and the ASUS in the middle. The Dell is a poor performer even though it has impressive graphics hardware because that chip was designed to work with a kind of graphics library not commonly used on Pocket PCs at this time. So in the future things might improve for the Dell if folks decide to write optimized versions of their apps and if Dell improves their driver a bit.

Lisa,

Thanks for the comments. Here's my bottom line. If we assume that my major tasks will be PIM type stuff, book/photo/video clip viewing, internet surfing and a little Word/Excel, will the x50v still render sluggish perfomance (i.e. delays in generating screen displays or when running multiple apps.)? Also, how long might I expect to use such a device --- that is, assuming I don't break it?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Dell Axim X50v Review [Re: MUMFORD]
      #18158 - 12/14/04 11:29 PM

It should be fine for those tasks. You might see a 1 second delay when switching between apps whereas you'd hardly see the delay on a QVGA device.

A Pocket PC should last at least two years and generally 3 or more. By them, many folks want to upgrade anyhow. . .

--------------------
Lisa Gade

MUMFORD

#18159 - 12/14/04 11:36 PM

Quote:

It should be fine for those tasks. You might see a 1 second delay when switching between apps whereas you'd hardly see the delay on a QVGA device.

A Pocket PC should last at least two years and generally 3 or more. By them, many folks want to upgrade anyhow. . .

Lisa,

Thanks again for the feedback. I suppose 1 second won't kill me! I'm planning to visit a local Dell Direct store to look at the devices within the next few days. I hope to make a decision no later than Sat.(12/18).

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#18174 - 12/15/04 02:22 PM

Well, it costs more, so it should have a few features that are better. It does have the nicest display (not that the other two are poor but the hx4705's is exceptional and large). It also has a large battery that beats the others, lots of flash ROM memory and WiFi which the ASUS lacks. The WiFi version of the ASUS should be out shortly and we'll be getting our review unit today. So far, none of the VGA models are screamers in the graphics department but the iPAQ gets the best numbers. That's great for gamers but the iPAQ's touch pad isn't ideal for gamers *sigh*

Quote:

Is the Ipaq better then the Dell and Asus?

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#18196 - 12/16/04 03:47 PM

If you're asking me, yes I own an hx4705 and have used it as my main Pocket PC since it came out. The performance level is quite good and it's wonderful for videos. Response in applications and even games is good. It is slightly slower than a QVGA device when it comes to menu response, but that's currently the price we pay for VGA.

Quote:

Have you used the Ipaq? How's the performance level?

--------------------
Lisa Gade

cediener

#18200 - 12/16/04 05:27 PM

Thanks for the answer on the two expansion card slot data buses.

Any specs on the actual/theoretical max transfer speeds for each bus?

Eric

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#18213 - 12/17/04 12:12 PM

Yes it is faster than the Dell X50v.

We just got the ASUS A730W in for review and it has 128 megs of RAM and WiFi added to the standard A730 configuration. For some reason, it's very fast though. So if you like, stay tuned for that review. The A730W sells for $569.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Bobby

Reged: 12/22/04
      #18376 - 12/22/04 04:19 PM

Hello Lisa,

I am awaiting the arrival of the HP hx4700/4705! I am very excited! Question - are screen protectors needed- or does that flip cover work? Also where can I find a good portable keyboard?

Thanks.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Dell Axim X50v Review [Re: Bobby]
      #18384 - 12/22/04 07:32 PM

I personally don't use screen protectors, but some folks wouldn't be without them. The flip cover is very effective at protecting the display when you're not using the unit.

The HP folding keyboard, which attaches to the sync port works well. If you prefer wireless, check out the Think Outside Bluetooth Wireless keyboard reviewed on our site.

Hope you enjoy your new iPAQ! I still love mine.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Bobby

#18386 - 12/22/04 08:13 PM

Would you be able to recommend a screen protector name?

Bobby

#18387 - 12/22/04 08:24 PM

I went to HP's site - the foldable keyboard is about $100.00 - and the Stowaway Bluetooth Portable Keyboard is also $100.00 - is there any sites that offer keyboards that are less expensive?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#18388 - 12/22/04 08:30 PM

For screen protectors, you're best off asking others since I don't use them.

As for the keyboards, check Dell's web site. They sell the Think Outside BT keyboard under their own brand name (it's the same keyboard) and it may be less.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 59225

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage