General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Full review: Samsung Epix i907 Windows Mobile Pro phone
      #31718 - 10/27/08 11:42 PM

Think of it as the Samsung BlackJack II on steroids. The Epix i907 on ATT is a 3G QWERTY bar Windows Mobile Professional phone with a 320 x 320 pixel flush touch screen. It has a fast 624MHz CPU, yet it's got very good battery life. There's plenty of memory on board along with WiFi, a strong GPS, Bluetooth with A2DP stereo and a 2 megapixel camera. It plays CV, ATT's streaming media service, and comes with a nice bundle of Samsung applications. One of our Fall favorites.

Read our Samsung Epix review.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CarsonF

Reged: 10/28/08
Loc: Bay Area, CA
Re: Full review: Samsung Epix i907 Windows Mobile Pro phone [Re: LisaG]
      #31719 - 10/28/08 12:57 AM

Hey guys!

Long time reader, first time poster...hehhhe

I just got an EPIX and I must say I LOVE IT! I have been using a tilt for about 6 months and it was really great, but the Epix is fantastic. The extra CPU juice makes it feel much quicker.

I have noticed one problem, perhaps you came across it during your review process. While in standby, the Epix fails to sound audible alerts or vibrate for new email notifications. SMS notifications work but email doesn't! I am sure that this will be addressed in the future and the phone is so great in every other aspect that I am learning to tolerate this problem.

I have to say that I thought the finger mouse was a gimmick but after using it for a couple of days, I find it's almost faster to navigate with...imagine that!

The flush screen is a real nice touch as well, but I have found that the edges are a bit tough to hit with a finger....the stylus still works better in some cases.

I think after a minor software release or two, this will be one tough phone to beat!

ciao!

Carson

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Full review: Samsung Epix i907 Windows Mobile Pro phone [Re: CarsonF]
      #31720 - 10/28/08 02:59 AM

Hey Carson! Yes, I noticed that email notification glitch and mentioned it in our review. I hope Samsung will fix it since it's important to be notified of new emails even when the phone is in standby.

And I have to agree that the mouse rocks... even though I feel like I'm petting the phone when I use it .

--------------------
Lisa Gade

CarsonF

Reged: 10/28/08
Loc: Bay Area, CA
      #31721 - 10/28/08 03:19 AM

Ah...you did mention it in the review...and I missed it! That's what I get for skimming over the article! Here I thought I caught a bug you didn't know about....I should have known! Great review, very thorough.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Full review: Samsung Epix i907 Windows Mobile Pro phone [Re: CarsonF]
      #31723 - 10/28/08 03:18 PM

Funny thing but when I noticed that bug, I thought of you and your old Treo 650 beeping every time a new mail came in. I though this bug would bug Carson!

--------------------
Lisa Gade

whycantiusegmail

Reged: 10/30/08
About the touchpad [Re: LisaG]
      #31740 - 10/30/08 07:51 AM

Can the reviewer please elaborate on this statement?
"While we were underwhelmed with the i780's sensor in mouse mode, we love it on the Epix i907. It's accurate, has proper sensitivity (adjustable via a control panel applet) and works well in documents and web pages."
Do you guys have a review on the i780? I would like to know the difference between these two phones.

Thanks

P.S. why can't I use my GMail or Hotmail accounts to create a username? Browsed through the FAQs and found no answer.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: About the touchpad [Re: whycantiusegmail]
      #31743 - 10/30/08 03:03 PM

We had an i780 but did not publish a review of it. It was a little off the radar here in the US being triband (no 850MHz) and no US 3G. Assuming you're in the US, the lack of 850MHz is a deal breaker, especially if on AT&T.

Where are you trying to create a username? In Messaging?

--------------------
Lisa Gade

whycantiusegmail

About the touchpad. [Re: LisaG]
      #31745 - 10/30/08 05:27 PM

What is the difference between the i780's and the i907's touchpads?

As the reviewer stated in this...
"While we were underwhelmed with the i780's sensor in mouse mode, we love it on the Epix i907. It's accurate, has proper sensitivity (adjustable via a control panel applet) and works well in documents and web pages."

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: About the touchpad. [Re: whycantiusegmail]
      #31746 - 10/30/08 05:32 PM

It was less accurate and responsive.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

whycantiusegmail

Re: About the touchpad. [Re: LisaG]
      #31747 - 10/30/08 05:44 PM

... I am sorry, but I really do not seem to understand. How does it appear less accurate and responsive? Have you guys tried them head-to-head again? Or is it based on memory?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: About the touchpad. [Re: whycantiusegmail]
      #31748 - 10/30/08 06:28 PM

On the i907 the touch pad feels natural to use and functions well: it does what I want and is easy to control. On the i780 the cursor doesn't allows follow smoothly and accurately and the speed is hard to control-- i.e.: I feel like it doesn't always do what I want.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: About the touchpad [Re: LisaG]
      #31749 - 10/30/08 07:03 PM

Quote:

Where are you trying to create a username? In Messaging?

I think he is talking about registering for these discussion forums.

I don't actually know if we block Hotmail and Gmail addresses, but if we do, I presume it is an anti-spam measure. If I could, I would block Hotmail from everything, everywhere , but I can see how blocking Gmail might frustrate some folks.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: About the touchpad [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #31753 - 10/30/08 09:29 PM

We don't block Hotmail but a few weeks ago we had to start blocking gmail forum registrations due to hackers flooding other boards and ours with new registrations so they could post utterly nasty things. My apologies to those who legitimately use Gmail. Hopefully once the craze has ended we'll be able to allow gmail registrations again.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

angelicman

Reged: 08/01/08
Loc: California
Re: About the touchpad [Re: LisaG]
      #31754 - 10/30/08 09:48 PM

Great review Lisa - Thank you! Does the excellency of call quality work for both incoming call and outgoing call?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: About the touchpad [Re: angelicman]
      #31756 - 10/30/08 10:35 PM

Thanks, angelicman. Yes, call quality is very good on both ends. Loud and clear.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

dildano

Reged: 10/31/08
      #31764 - 10/31/08 06:18 PM

Can you elaborate a bit on the GPS and using third-party apps such as Garmin or TomTom? For example, will the GPS work without ANY data plan whatsoever? Would the GPS work without a SIM card in the device? This always seems to be a point of contention among the various devices because it's not clear whether satellite and/or cell tower info must be downloaded in order to get the GPS going.

Thanks!

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Full review: Samsung Epix i907 Windows Mobile Pro phone [Re: dildano]
      #31765 - 10/31/08 07:54 PM

Using Garmin XT Mobile, the phone's radio has to be on. It does not use data (the cell connection and data transfer icons in the top menu bar do not show any data being transferred, nor does it start a connection to MediaNet). But the device uses aGPS, which means tower triangulation-- it needs checks to see the nearest cell towers the phone is connected to in order to get a location fix. So you must have a SIM in the phone and the phone's radio must be turned on, but it does not use the data connection. It merely looks at the currently active set of cell towers used for voice.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

dildano

Reged: 10/31/08
      #31766 - 10/31/08 09:42 PM

Awesome answer! Thanks for clarifying that. So I guess that one drawback is that you cannot use the GPS unless you're in range of a cell tower. That severely limits the usefulness of the GPS if you're driving around in areas that don't have suitable cell coverage. I can live with that, I suppose. But more importantly, I'm not required to have an expensive data plan just to use the GPS. Yay!

gopcs

Reged: 11/25/08
Loc: Southeast USA
Re: Full review: Samsung Epix i907 Windows Mobile Pro phone [Re: dildano]
      #31946 - 11/25/08 02:08 PM

I like the i-907. It is a great PDA. I am still trying to understand the GPS receiver. The Samsung PDF calls it "GPS", ie: satellite based. A post on this forum calls it "aGPS", ie: cell tower triangulation based. I downloaded and installed Google Maps for Mobile. It will display your location with a Blue Dot, and it is close - maybe within a few 100 yards. Then, select "Menu > Use GPS" and a window appears in the upper right corner "Seeking GPS satellites". When it reports the satellites being received, the displayed location is right on target. Therefore the question, is it GPS or aGPS? I installed Street Atlas 2008 Handheld on the i-907. Street Atlas cannot find the GPS receiver. And I cannot find a method to identify the COM Port the GPS receiver is using.

Any ideas what is going on here? Thanks.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Full review: Samsung Epix i907 Windows Mobile Pro phone [Re: gopcs]
      #31948 - 11/25/08 02:29 PM

The Epix as a GPS receiver and additionally uses aGPS to speed up location fixes. Most phones with GPS use this setup these days. So the answer is is has both

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 34571

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage