MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Palm Software

Pages: 1
Fahad

Reged: 11/18/03
CPU Clockspeed software - Is it adviceable to use such application ?
      #10073 - 04/15/04 05:53 PM

Hi every one !

I have seen a post at palminfocenter.com, regarding an application which can be used to change the clock rate of the CPU of any Palm OS 5 device. I want to know, if it really brings any change in the performence of such devices ? In my opinion its a little risky to alter such configurations of the device. But I am looking for an expert opinion.

Looking forward to your reply !

Regards.

click here if you like to see the origonal post at plaminfocennter.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaG
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: CPU Clockspeed software - Is it adviceable to use such application ? [Re: Fahad]
      #10077 - 04/15/04 10:52 PM

They do indeed improve performance. But if you don't use more than the standard PIMs and/or working with Word and Excel docs, it probably won't make much of a difference. If you play videos, view large images and play intensive games (esp. emulators) you will appreciate the speed improvement.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: CPU Clockspeed software - Is it adviceable to use such application ? [Re: Fahad]
      #12037 - 06/12/04 07:48 PM

I use PXAClocker Pro 3.1 on my Tungsten|T3 with no problems. Most folks use such apps to slow apps down that don't need the extra speed and save battery life. For slower devices, overclocking can accelerate CPU- or memory-intensive programs. How much difference it makes depends on what programs you use. Like all software, try it for a while to see if it does what you want.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

Dan_42
veteran

Reged: 08/27/04
Loc: Shenzhen, China
Re: CPU Clockspeed software - Is it adviceable to use such application ? [Re: Tanker_Bob]
      #16977 - 11/02/04 02:41 AM

Newbie question - out of curiosity's sake...

Is it actually possible to damage your Palm if you overclock things to a rediculously fast speed?

I mean, PC cpus that are overclocked normally require extra cooling measures...is this not a concern with a PDA?

Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: CPU Clockspeed software - Is it adviceable to use such application ? [Re: Dan_42]
      #16978 - 11/02/04 06:31 AM

Well, I wouldn't advise doing anything absurd in any case. Generally, the CPU will lock up before anything permanent happens, but I wouldn't bet my $399 on it. Start gradually increasing the speed on a single application that exercises the system. I used Speedy as my test app. Moderation and caution in all things...

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6734

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage