MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
steve6387

Reged: 04/21/04
PocketPC vs Palm OS? Not a newbie, but.....
      #10181 - 04/21/04 04:19 PM

...I've been using the same Palm Vx for the last 5 years or so and haven't been keeping up on PDA technology in general. Was thinking about the Dell Axim or T3. Was thinking about spending ~$300 usd. Suggestions? Here's my usage.

* Must Sync well with MS Outlook (work)
* Must handle MS Word/Excel nicely (work)
* Must take notes easily in meetings often. I got very used to the palm grafitti, but if there is a Windows equivalent that works well. I'll learn.

* Should hold a charge. I often take my PDA away on vacations and long weekends and often DO NOT take a laptop or bring a charger. I have left my palm in a drawer for weeks and love the fact that it always fired up. In cases like that, actual device use is rather minimal, but I like being able to hit the power button, get directions, addresses, numbers, whatever and then tossing that sucker back in my overnight bag.
* SHOULD handle whatever the heck wireless network is in my office here. I'll also be setting up a wireless LAN @ home soon.
* should be able to use this to surf the web and some office based web sites.

I really DO NOT care about games, MP3s, Cameras, microwave ovens, and etc...Any of those are "nice to haves" but nothing I'd spend money on.

Any input appreciated.
--Steve

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
steve6387

Re: PocketPC vs Palm OS? Not a newbie, but..... [Re: steve6387]
      #10208 - 04/22/04 05:06 AM

I forgot to ask another question. How long do Windows based units take to turn on? If it's a long boot process like my cell phone, this makes a difference.

The one thing my Palm is constantly used for is as a quick reference source for technical documents on the fly, as well as contact info. It's not uncommon for me to turn on/off my Palm 15 or 20 times per day. I've been doing some reading and am leaning towards the Dell Axim 3i

Thanks again for any feedback.
--steve

photobotz

Reged: 05/02/04
      #10490 - 05/02/04 11:31 PM

I'm also very interested in the answer to this question.

Palm OS vs. Pocket PC

Everything I read says to choose Palm if your goal is to have a pocket organizer that is good for dates and contacts. They also say choose Pocket PC if you want to run apps (Word/Excel), surf the web and connect to networks. Well, what if you want to do both?

thanks

steve6387

Re: PocketPC vs Palm OS? Not a newbie, but..... [Re: photobotz]
      #10495 - 05/03/04 08:16 AM

I ultimately chose Dell's Axim x3i. Deciding factors were:
* Better integration with MS Outlook, Word & Excel.
* WiFi which is useful but not required in my office/job.
* User replaceable battery, which the Tungsten T3 did not have.

I believe I sacrificed: BlueTooth, better battery life, and a better native handwriting application. I'm too new to this PPC to give a final impression, however, I'm happy so far.

--Steve

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: PocketPC vs Palm OS? Not a newbie, but..... [Re: photobotz]
      #10547 - 05/04/04 12:51 PM

Quote:

I'm also very interested in the answer to this question.

Palm OS vs. Pocket PC

Everything I read says to choose Palm if your goal is to have a pocket organizer that is good for dates and contacts. They also say choose Pocket PC if you want to run apps (Word/Excel), surf the web and connect to networks. Well, what if you want to do both?

thanks

See if this article gives you some idea...

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/palm_vs_pocketpc.htm

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

#10549 - 05/04/04 01:01 PM

Quote:

* Must Sync well with MS Outlook (work)

Both Dell and T3 can do this and come with software for syncing with Outlook.

Quote:

* Must handle MS Word/Excel nicely (work)

Both Dell and T3 can do this. Docs To Go comes with T3 does a bit better job than the built-in Pocket Word/Excel on Pocket PC.

Quote:

* Must take notes easily in meetings often. I got very used to the palm grafitti, but if there is a Windows equivalent that works well. I'll learn.

Both Dell and T3 can do this. Pocket PC offers more input method, but does include Grafitti 2 kind of input.

Quote:

* Should hold a charge. I often take my PDA away on vacations and long weekends and often DO NOT take a laptop or bring a charger. I have left my palm in a drawer for weeks and love the fact that it always fired up. In cases like that, actual device use is rather minimal, but I like being able to hit the power button, get directions, addresses, numbers, whatever and then tossing that sucker back in my overnight bag.

Neither one can compete with your old Palm. If you don't use it much, they will last for a weekend without charging. But if you use BT, WiFi, play MP3 and video, you should take the charger with you when you travel.

Quote:

* SHOULD handle whatever the heck wireless network is in my office here. I'll also be setting up a wireless LAN @ home soon.

The Dell Axim X3i has built-in Wifi and works quite well with any access points I've tried. The T3 comes with built-in Bluetooth and works with many BT phones. If you buy an X5, you will need Wifi card to enable wireless access.

Quote:

* should be able to use this to surf the web and some office based web sites.

Both have browswers to handle the job easily.

Neither can operate a microwave.

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

#10550 - 05/04/04 01:03 PM

Quote:

I ultimately chose Dell's Axim x3i. Deciding factors were:
* Better integration with MS Outlook, Word & Excel.
* WiFi which is useful but not required in my office/job.
* User replaceable battery, which the Tungsten T3 did not have.

I believe I sacrificed: BlueTooth, better battery life, and a better native handwriting application. I'm too new to this PPC to give a final impression, however, I'm happy so far.

--Steve

The handwriting recognition on Pocket PC offers more than Palm.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5278

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage