MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Thorondor

Reged: 05/04/04
UX50 vs. NX80V
      #10540 - 05/04/04 02:28 PM

All,

I've done quite a bit of research for a new PDA over the last month, trying to find the perfect device and I finally purchased a discounted Sony Clie NX80V. Now I find myself having a bit of remorse that I did not get the UX50.

My primary uses for this device are:
(1) Storing addresses
(2) Calendar management (business and personal)
(3) Task management (business and personal)
(4) Financial management (Pocket Money)
(4) Taking pictures
(5) Web browsing
(6) Remote control

After doing lots of research, I decided that I liked the Zaurus SL-C860 the most (primarily for the expandability of Linux), but I was unhappy with the price, the Japanese-only manual, and the lack of integrated devices. Unhappy with the other Linux handhelds I saw, I decided to go with Palm. Of all the Palm OS devices, the Sony Clies are the only ones with integrated keyboards (an absolute must for me). This left me with a choice between the UX50 and the NX80V, the two Clies I liked the most.

I decided to get the NX80V because of its large screen, the CF slot (for later addition of a GPS), and the 1.3 megapixel camera. Since I have used it for a while, I found the following things:
(1) The CF slot retracts and makes it rather difficult to always leave the 802.11b card inserted. (In all fairness, I don't use the 802.11b card as much as I thought I would.)
(2) The shudder speed on the camera is so slow that any movement causes blurred images. I might as well have a .3 megapixel camera.

So... After finding this stuff out, I'm thinking that the UX50 might have been a better choice for me, but I'm having a hard time getting over that small screen size. The screen size is especially annoying when considering the overall size of the unit...

Anyone have some thoughts about this? Am I missing anything?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FMN
PDA Addict

Reged: 06/27/03
Re: UX50 vs. NX80V [Re: Thorondor]
      #10599 - 05/06/04 05:32 AM

I believe the camera on the UX50 has the same specs as the one on the NX80V.

Thorondor

Reged: 05/04/04
Re: UX50 vs. NX80V [Re: FMN]
      #10632 - 05/06/04 06:53 PM

Actually it has the same camera as the NX73, not the NX80. The NX80 is 1.3 megapixel and has a light whereas the UX50 only has a .3 megapixel camera and no light. My point earlier was that even though the camera is 1.3 megapixel, the shudder speed is so slow that it is really only good at taking pictures where no one is moving... at all.

I still don't know which one I want, but I'm going to keep my NX80V a little longer and see how it works. I can always switch to the UX50 later... or even wait to see what Sony comes out with next. Perhaps their next line will be out soon. Anyone know?

nausicaa

Reged: 04/05/04
Loc: Seoul, Korea
Re: UX50 vs. NX80V [Re: Thorondor]
      #10747 - 05/10/04 06:38 AM

gosh, i was wondering the same thing: when are the next clies set to emerge?
(i'm not really in the market for another clie yet, but still i admire the machines sony makes)

since sony clies have a famously short product cycle (they come out with new clies quickly), maybe... june, july??? (complete speculation; also the 25% off clie accessories with purchase of a new clie deal ends on 30 june 2004).

however, i recall reading somewhere that the sony clie designers were not planning to enlarge the size of the UX series screens because it would make the clies " too heavy " or something like that.

i myself was torn between the clie nx80v (seems like despite its faults, this machine is unparalleled in the pda world and has a dedicated following) and th55 (software bundle seems like it could help upgrade my productivity levels)... but then price considerations (outrageous shipping costs to korea, around US$100) made me scale down and order the tj37

movements ruining camera shots can be a real bummer... but, i'd read on this site somewhere that you could open the nx80v like a picture frame, set it on a hard surface, adjust camera and take photos that way to eliminate the movements, at least, from the hand of the picture-taker (although subjects of pictures may not be as still)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3772

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage