MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> 802.11b / WiFi cards and networking

Pages: 1
TomS

Reged: 05/04/04
Recognizing a Network...
      #10561 - 05/04/04 09:08 PM

I know when I am at a hotel, conference center, coffe shop or other place that offers free wi-fi my iPAQ 4150 hops on and I'm good to surf or check e-mail.

I was curious though how I can access the networks that are detected when I am at a doctor's office, hospital, or even an office max. My PPC picks up networks all over the place. Do I need a WEP key...etc...?

Obviously these places don't "offer" free access but it would be nice to utilize it when I am waiting to get my teeth cleaned...

Also, any great links that would teach me more about "connection settings, VPN servers, proxy servers" and all the other propmts that come up when I'm waiting to get my molars polished... I am not sure what all these mean and which ones to try to change.

Thanks.

-TomS

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Recognizing a Network... [Re: TomS]
      #10770 - 05/10/04 05:24 PM

Yes, you'd generally need the WEP key. You can always try asking your dentist for the key If a network isn't using encryption, your PDA would be able to connect without a WEP key.

Proxy servers are used in large companies and by some wireless providers and PDA browser makers. They parse the content before it ever reaches your PDA. This can be done for security and web site blocking purposes (by large companies when you're working in their office as an employee), or to speed up and optimize download times in the case of mobile carriers.

VPN= virtual private network. This is used by companies who wish to give traveling or home-working employees access to the company network while maintaining a secure connection to prevent theft of company intellectual property or personel info.

You likely won't ever need to use proxies or a VPN connection for your own personal surfing and emailing.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: wifi hotspots [Re: ]
      #10838 - 05/12/04 04:12 PM

Places like Starbucks do charge for surfing. So you'd first have to use the PDA browser to sign up and pay for the service via credit card. Then you'd be able to use their access point. The same goes for most WiFi services in airports.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

TomS

Reged: 05/04/04
Re: Recognizing a Network... [Re: LisaG]
      #10932 - 05/14/04 07:13 PM

Thanks Lisa...

You're da best!

-TomS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5837

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage