Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> HP iPAQ Pocket PC

Pages: 1
zettler

Reged: 05/04/04
Loc: Chatham , IL
What GPS for an IPAQ 2215
      #10562 - 05/04/04 10:43 PM

My Second post here (I did send two emails this AM to your Reviewer on GPS/PDA's) and a somewhat duplicate of the first.

I have the HP IPAQ 2215. Bought, installed and use the SanDisk Wi-Fi CF card ($39 delivered from Buy.com). Bought and just installed a SanDisk 512MB SD card for other things ($100 from OD this week), and still have my old Kingston CF 56K modem card from my Jornada 548 (and its Targus keyboard).

But what I am MOST interested in is adding a GPS function to the 2215 at the best price. Talking directions are nice BUT not what I am primarily looking for. Also, I do not need a dozen more wires, connections, etc., hanging around me or my vehicle when I drive - just something simple, comprehenisble and useful - at a reasonable price.

I like the NavMan's BUT they do not have a sleeve that fits the 2215, so you are limited to a BT enabled which means even more "stuff" to clutter my life up with and it costs more.

I have always liked Delorme (Earthmate), but again, not only will you have to add parts and to the roof or the like, you will also have to buy an additional battery pack (SLP $70) just to power it.

I saw the Pharos but its BT too and a little higher in price (try three times).

Then there is the Ambicom CF unit. Reasonable price. However, the software is only good for 30 days! Sounds like my last marriage !!! I have yet to discover what it will cost after that and if its actually worth it OR will other software work with the CF unit...

I would use the GPS for work, travel and outdoor activities like hiking. I already have a Garmin eMap but its in B&W and is limited as to detail and memory (it also costs more to purchase memory modules and their proprietary mapping software).

So, people, posters and staff, what are your suggestions for a HP IPAQ 2215 and adding a GPS function to it!!!!

Thank you all in a advance!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: What GPS for an IPAQ 2215 [Re: zettler]
      #10563 - 05/05/04 01:00 AM

I don't know if my email answered your question, in case it didn't here is some feedback I have on your post here.

Navman doesn't have a sleeve version for the h2215 because the h2215 does not support sleeves.

The Ambicom GPS package we reviewed does have a full version of the navigation and map software for $199, and they do work together.

I told you in my email to check out buygpsnow.com who sells just the receivers if you don't want the navigation software. Also Pharos sells an SD GPS receiver which will eliminate the wire problem and it's cheaper than the BT package.

zettler

Reged: 05/04/04
Loc: Chatham , IL
Re: What GPS for an IPAQ 2215 [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #10573 - 05/05/04 10:16 AM

I just figured out the discrepancy between what you said in the email and what I had been reading elsewhere, such as Amazon.com.

Actually, there is no discrepancy as there are two (2) versions of the Ambcom CF GPS - a Pro and a Regular - but I nver knew that even from Ambicom's web site until I just did a new search at Amazon.

Here is what I had been reading at several sites, "Now you can turn your Pocket PC into a true GPS navigation system and never worry about getting lost! In-Vehicle Navigation The GPS-CF comes with a free full feature 30-day trial navigation software that provides long distance route planning, intelligent backtracking, real time location updates and more." So when you said it contained a "full" version, I was perplexed! The Ambicom (Regular version) only had one reviewer and it reinforced this false image. When I did the new search, I found the Pro and several reviews, not all that great with regard to reception either...

I guess that I will keep looking and read your future article.

Thank you for the input and assistance.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3278

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage