MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
stephen

Reged: 05/09/04
HP 1930/1935
      #10716 - 05/09/04 05:56 PM

G'day everyone.

I'm looking at purchasing my first PDA and had pretty much settled on the HP 1930. It was within my budget (around AU$400), had a nice look and met my needs.

I'm not looking for it to do anything particularly fancy (that's what my desktop pc is for) just to keep contacts, schedules and allow for a bit of document portability for those times that I'm on the run (for work, not from the cops ).

Anyways, to my dilemma - I thought that I would search for a few more reviews just to give me peace of mind when I made my purchase. I went to Amazon.com to read some of the reviews on the 1935 and while the significant majority of the 40 customer reviews only had praise for the product, and out of the 15 or so that had negative things to say none really affected my decision except for the 8 that referred to the same problem... According to the customers (most of which stated that the unit was safely at rest on a work desk or in a protective cover, etc when the problem arose, seemingly over night or after a charge), they loved the PDA and it worked great until a crack suddenly appeared on glass layer of the screen.

The problem was extended by the fact that the glass couldn't be purchased separately from the entire screen unit and a screen replacement would cost pretty much the same as the PDA cost in the first place. The crack also seemed to occur very close to the expiry of the warranty period (alot of the "I Love this product" reviews were also written after having only been using it for a mere number of days, or at the most several weeks - I can't help wondering if they were still happy with their purchase months down the track...).

Now I know that for the most part people won't write in about something unless they have something to complain about and it's safe to assume that for everyone that had something positive to say there are more than another 50x that are happy but haven't written anything. If it was one or two people that complained of this, I'd put it down to them accidently sitting on it or dropping, stressing it and not having realised, but when it was so many and all with the same reasons... it made me hesitate.

Has anyone else heard of this issue? Anything that anyne may know would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for anyone who reads this.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: HP 1930/1935 [Re: stephen]
      #10718 - 05/09/04 06:52 PM

So far, no one's written to us or posted about this kind of issue with the 1930/35.

The glass and digitizer are a one piece assembly and that's why the glass can't be replaced w/o replacing the entire LCD assembly.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

stephen

Reged: 05/09/04
Re: HP 1930/1935 [Re: LisaG]
      #10731 - 05/09/04 07:27 PM

Thanks.

I was just hoping to put any nagging doubts to rest.

That makes sense. I was more concerned about the cost of a replacement should the unthinkable happen and would have changed my PDA selection as a result.

You have quite a few posts here so I'm sure that if the problem was a frequent one there would have been at least one mention of it.

I'll keep searching to see if this issue is mentioned anywhere else... if not, I think I have a winner.

Thank you again for your swift reply, it has helped to settle my uncertainty.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2395

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage