MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Trevor

Reged: 05/10/04
Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Palm vs. Windows: Anybody switch? Any security issues?
      #10755 - 05/10/04 06:17 PM

Hi there,

I am starting to look at retiring my aging Palm IIIxe (which has done great service over the years!). I think I have "narrowed" it down to these candidates:

Dell Axim3i (Windows)
Palm Tungsten C/T3 (Palm O/S)
Sony Clie TJ37 (Palm O/S)
Sonly Clie TH55 (Palm O/S)

Now for my questions:

1. Palm OS vs. Windows Mobile Edition:
I really like the Palm O/S on my IIIxe. It is simple, elegant and was designed from the ground up for a PDA. I have seen Windows Mobile and it seems that they started with Windows and scaled it 'down' to a PDA -- very different philosophy; very different end product. As a result, I find the Windows Mobile edition to be, well, rather confusing and overwhelming. Granted, I have had my Palm for 5 years and I have only 'played' with Windows Mobile Edition for an hour or so. Any comments from the Windows folks (particularly anybody who has made the switch from Palm to Windows)?

2. Security:
My old palm is relatively secure (naive comment here?!) because I have disabled the infrared beaming, sync only via seria cable and do not use MS Office products. If I buy a WiFi enabled PDA, I will have to pay closer attention to security issues:

(a) Do the same (frequent) security updates that apply to Windows also apply to Windows Mobile?
(b) Anybody use Symantec AntiVirus for HandHelds?
(c) I don't see the same number of security updates from Palm for their O/S. Is this just a sign of market share (not on the hackers' radar), more secure O/S or a less security-conscious vendor?

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks
Trevor

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Palm vs. Windows: Anybody switch? Any security issues? [Re: Trevor]
      #10783 - 05/11/04 05:31 PM

Quote:

1. Palm OS vs. Windows Mobile Edition:
I really like the Palm O/S on my IIIxe. It is simple, elegant and was designed from the ground up for a PDA. I have seen Windows Mobile and it seems that they started with Windows and scaled it 'down' to a PDA -- very different philosophy; very different end product. As a result, I find the Windows Mobile edition to be, well, rather confusing and overwhelming. Granted, I have had my Palm for 5 years and I have only 'played' with Windows Mobile Edition for an hour or so. Any comments from the Windows folks (particularly anybody who has made the switch from Palm to Windows)?

You are right about Palm OS being built group up for the handheld and Windows Mobile is pocket version of the desktop. You will find followers in both camps. Bottom line is what YOU like and are used to. If you feel comfortable with Palm OS and don't feel like taking a chance, stay with Palm OS devices. Here is our article detailing the difference between the two platforms: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/palm_vs_pocketpc.htm

Quote:

2. Security:
My old palm is relatively secure (naive comment here?!) because I have disabled the infrared beaming, sync only via seria cable and do not use MS Office products. If I buy a WiFi enabled PDA, I will have to pay closer attention to security issues:

(a) Do the same (frequent) security updates that apply to Windows also apply to Windows Mobile?

Pocket PCs don't usually have the issues that MS Windows desktops do. So far, no virus has be been found or effected Pocket PCs (knock on wood). The biggest security issue people seem to be facing is when you loose your PDA, other people can access your sensitive data. There are lots of software that can help lock up your sensitive data. HP iPAQ 5555 for example even has a biometric security feature built in where it only takes the figureprints you trained it to take. Wifi is not a security hole for the PDAs.
Quote:

(b) Anybody use Symantec AntiVirus for HandHelds?

No.

Quote:

(c) I don't see the same number of security updates from Palm for their O/S. Is this just a sign of market share (not on the hackers' radar), more secure O/S or a less security-conscious vendor?

Okey, there are many reasons. Your handhelds aren't have hardwired to the internet like the desktop machines. And the WinCE is a relatively newer OS that doesn't have Windows legacy issues and was built with security in mind. Also it's very limited OS compared to Windows, not very easy to infect it with viruses. For example, Pocket Excel doesn't support Macro, so Macro viruses can do anything here.

That's why this isn't a concern just yet.

steve6387

Reged: 04/21/04
Re: Palm vs. Windows: Anybody switch? Any security issues? [Re: Trevor]
      #10869 - 05/13/04 04:30 PM

I made the switch from the Palm Vx to the Dell Axim X3i. I'm happy with my decision so far. I no longer have the time/luxury to be a "power user" like I used to on the palm. I'm not downloading and experimenting with tons of software and hacks. Business and family are the priorities nowadays.

I wanted better integration with outlook/excel/word. I can navigate my PPC just like any other drive on my PC, dragging and dropping files more seamlessly. I wanted WiFi for office use. I wanted a user replaceable batterty. I made the right decision. If I were the tweakster I used to be, the Palm T3 would have been a better choice. But I wanted a straightforward, robust, extention of my desktop. I got it.

Just my $0.02
--steve

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2673

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage