MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
RobB

Reged: 05/13/04
GPRS access to Citrix apps?
      #10860 - 05/13/04 06:49 AM

Hi,
Is anybody using GPRS enabled PDAs to connect to applications running on MS Terminal Services/Citrix servers? I'd be interested in any information on what PDA's you recommend, what to avoid etc. I'm currently thinking of XDA II but these seem a bit pricey, are there lower cost alternatives you'd recommend? Any other info gratefully received!
TIA,
Rob.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: GPRS access to Citrix apps? [Re: RobB]
      #10887 - 05/13/04 03:05 PM

You can use a GPRS connection for Terminal Services. Of course it might be a bit slow at an average 35-40k for GPRS throughput.

If you're in the US, you could get the original XDA, sold as the T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition for less money since it's an old model. T-Mobile is now selling a version with the new Windows Mobile 2003 Phone Edition, which perks it up a bit. Overseas, the original XDA is also much less money than the XDA II.

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tmobile.htm

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

RobB

Reged: 05/13/04
Re: GPRS access to Citrix apps? [Re: LisaG]
      #10912 - 05/14/04 05:07 AM

Thanks for the reply, Lisa. From testing we've done with a GPRS card in a laptop the speed isn't too bad, the Citrix ICA protocol is more lightweight than RDP.

We're in the UK and I've been coming to the conclusion that the XDA/XDA II is the one to go for but I believe the Samsung i700 may be launched here later this year. Otherwise the options seem pretty limited without going for expansion packs, separate PC cards etc. I'm hoping to get a demo of an XDA soon, I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again,
Rob

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2701

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage