MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
rogers

Reged: 05/17/04
Urgent PDA advice needed. Help!
      #10999 - 05/17/04 04:32 AM

Greetings,
Am a really heavy PC user. Right now am using a laptop so as to be able to do some work on the go. I wish to venture into the world of PDA so I can finally leave my laptop at home but still have some way to bridge the gap between my laptop at home and my desktop at work.
My needs:
1. Being an extremely heavy user of Office, I need a PDA thats great with Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.

2. I also prefer to be well organised which I have managed to be with my laptop (at the expense of my shoulders), so a PDA i get should have a top notch organiser.

3. One of the most important requirements is that the PDA have extremely stable software. I would wish data that I carry to be safe and easily transferable as its very important to me. I have read reviews with horror stories of resets and crashes and data loss. failures to synchronize and the like. I hope I can prevent all that.

4. The data that would to like to carry on the go is quite alot so storage capacity is also a priority. I do realise that I can purchase storage cards, but the more inbuilt memory, the better.

5. I spend alot of time on the road so it would be nice to have a PDA that will keep entertained (MP3 and video would be nice, but this is not a top priority)

6. Am green when it comes to wifi as i have not bothered to read up on it, but bluetooth
might be of assistance to me.

I hope you can help me!
Thanks alot!
Cheers
Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
steve6387

Reged: 04/21/04
Re: Urgent PDA advice needed. Help! [Re: rogers]
      #11002 - 05/17/04 11:09 AM

I recently purchased the Dell Axim x3i to meet pretty much the same demands as yourself, but I don't do any PDA based work with PowerPoint. Contact mgt software is great. Integration with outlook/word/excel are excellent and I use them all. Battery life is better than I expected but I purchased an extra battery and a 128mb storage card as I like to travel light. It's been alittle over 2 weeks. No crashes or resets. The stability is rumored to be good, but who really knows?! 2 weeks is not long enough for me to say for sure. Once I start installing applications and mucking up the sw environment. Then we'll know for sure
I sync with desktops at home and at the office. It has integrated WiFi, but I have yet to configure it with my office network so I really can't give you feedback on web browsing and etc.

Good Luck,
--steve

Edited by steve6387 (05/17/04 11:13 AM)

rogers

Reged: 05/17/04
Re: Urgent PDA advice needed. Help! [Re: steve6387]
      #11038 - 05/18/04 09:20 AM

Thanks steve6387 for some really great insight into dell. To be honest i hadnt really had dell on my list of considerations. I was looking mainly at palm tungsten series and hp ipaq. But am seriously going to look at dell now. Thanx alot for that! Please keep me posted on performance of your dell. preferably after another week or two.
Cheers
Rogers

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3550

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage