MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
blaisjf

Reged: 05/22/04
Looking for a PDA...
      #11236 - 05/23/04 03:23 PM

Hi!
I am working in the media... my job is to do research for radio and TV shows. I am shopping for a new PDA (my Palm m100 died long time ago), but does not know which one to get.

My main use of a PDA would be for researching contacts. I already tried the basic "Contacts" feature of a Palm m100, and did not quite like it. It is good to capture every information about a contact, but pretty poor for research and categorization.
Ideally, I would like to be able to categorize each contact with key words and then be able to retrieve them thereafter.
For example, John Doe (a famous accountant for handling divorces, who loves golf) could be categorized as "ACCOUNTANT", "DIVORCES" and "GOLF". The same for all my contacts...
Moreover, if I plan a show on divorces, I would like to conduct a search in a way that every contacts labelled with "DIVORCES" would appear.
The Palm m100 was not that powerful.
1) Are new Palm products better? What about Power PCs?
2) Should I consider using Excel to do this particular task? If so, on which PDA? And, what about the synchronization with Excel?
3) Or, would it be better to install a database software? If so, on which PDA? And, what about synchronization?
4) My Palm m100 software still resides on my workstation. All my current contacts are there. Everything will need to be converted into my new PDA.

Besides contacts searching, I would also like to use my PDA to keep my agenda, store web pages, and listen to music. Taking pictures is not a must... Budget isn't really a problem. I just need the PDA that suits my needs, and will not get dated too fast.

Hope this is not too much questions... and also hope I was clear.

JF

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GregModerator
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/28/02
Re: Looking for a PDA... [Re: blaisjf]
      #11269 - 05/24/04 01:50 PM

A database might do the job best. There are several available for Palm and Pocket PC and they sync to the desktop. You can updated records on the desktop or on the PDA as you see fit and keep them in sync.

We have a review of database apps at http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/software/databases.htm and will have an update to that review in the next month. You can also do a seach on www.handango.com to see a selection of available database apps for Palm and Pocket PC.

--------------------
Mobile Tech Review
http://www.mobiletechreview.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1824

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage