MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Sony Clie

Pages: 1
tonyw

Reged: 05/24/04
Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
56k modem and/or ethernet connectivity for TH55?
      #11258 - 05/24/04 12:00 PM

Hi,
I've been checking out PDAs and top of my list currently is the Sony TH55. I'm looking for a PDA that will do email (including receive and send attachments, handle multiple POP accounts), browes the web, work with MS-Office documents (Word, Excel mainly), synch with Maximizer contact manager (has Palm synch conduits), support an external keyboard, and offer various means of connecting to the outside world. I intend to take the PDA to meetings and on short trips and just leave the laptop behind. Still I would like to be able receive and send email with just the PDA while away.

For connectivity, the TH55's 802.11 wireless is great, but only a few places where I do business offer WiFi. Instead 56k modem and hardwire ethernet connections are more commonplace for me.

So my questions are: a) is there a dial-up modem (56k preferred)compatible with the TH55 and b) is there a compatible ethernet adapter so I can connect to a WAN/LAN? I would like to be able to use the external keyboard, so these accessories would connect via the Memory Stick slot (my guess, unless there is a pass through on the keyboard).

Currently I have a Palm IIIxe (8MB) with 14k modem, ethernet cradle, and Palm keyboard. It has Documents to go 6 and Eudora and I can synch through the office LAN. I have all the connectivity tools for it to be a laptop replacement, but not enough memory to handle attachments and the resolution is pretty low. Coleagues have Pocket PC PDAs and modems and ethernet connectors seem to be readily available, but I prefer to stick to the Palm OS.

Thanks for any advice.
-Tony
(Vancouver, BC Canada)

Edited by tonyw (05/24/04 12:10 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GregModerator
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/28/02
Re: 56k modem and/or ethernet connectivity for TH55? [Re: tonyw]
      #11276 - 05/24/04 02:35 PM

There is neither 56k modem nor a wired Ethernet card for the TH55 and other recent Clies.

--------------------
Mobile Tech Review
http://www.mobiletechreview.com

tonyw

Reged: 05/24/04
Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Re: 56k modem and/or ethernet connectivity for TH55? [Re: Greg]
      #11307 - 05/25/04 03:17 PM

Hi,
This site is a wealth of information! Thanks for the reply. Elsewhere on this site, I found a review of a product that might give me dial-up with a Clie: an IR 56k modem PDA Buyers, IR 56k modem. It's not a small as a card modem, but it's relatively portable. Next on my quest is connectivity through hardwire ethernet.

LisaG
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: 56k modem and/or ethernet connectivity for TH55? [Re: tonyw]
      #11327 - 05/25/04 07:08 PM

Right you are, external IR modems such as the Pegasus reviewed on this site will work.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3721

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage