MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
JustininNC

Reged: 05/26/04
Open & Up in the Air
      #11336 - 05/26/04 09:47 AM

I'm finally upgrading from my Palm IIIx and would really appreciate some input from regular users.

I'm going to be primarily a business user, using for e-mail, Excel, Word, etc... and want to make sure that integration with the standard Desktop applications is fairly simple and consistent. However, MP3 and light gaming functions wouldn't be bad things, either.

I'm just opening my search for my new PDA and, at least initially, have been leaning towards either the Tungsten T3 or the Tungsten C. However, I'm open to suggestions in a similar price range (brands don't matter that much)- the main questions I have are:

1. Operating System: I've been drawn to Palm OS5 because of it's simplicity and my familiarity. However, I have little to no experience with Pocket PC OS. Given that I'm interested in consistent integration with MS desktop apps, should I reconsider PPCs?

2. Graffiti vs. thumb keyboards: I've never been a huge fan of the graffiti writing style (I'm only familiar with generation 1). I'm going to be a heavy user of e-mail... which makes the thumb board option seem that much easier and more efficient. Anyone feel strongly one way or another?

3. WiFi- is important. I do not have access to Blue tooth, therefore WiFi, weather integrated or via a separate card, is a must.

4. Expandable Screen- This, and the improved PIM software, are the features that keeps me looking at the Tungsten T3. Is the extra screen as valuable as I think it may be?

Am I missing anything??
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tonyw

Reged: 05/24/04
Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Re: Open & Up in the Air [Re: JustininNC]
      #11340 - 05/26/04 11:30 AM

As an alternative to thumb keypads, if you are a touch typist (and you mention heavy email use), you might consider a folding full-sized keyboard. The T3 accommodates either a wireless or connector type keyboard.

-Tony

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Open & Up in the Air [Re: JustininNC]
      #11343 - 05/26/04 12:40 PM

The T|3 meets all your requirements except the WiFi.

I agree with tonyw, if you are a true touch typist, then do consider an external keyboard. I have a Tungsten T|3 and use this keyboard:

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/stowawayXT.htm

If you want a keyboard that works with most all of the PDAs, then check out this IR wireless keyboard which works very well with all the units we've tried including the T|3.

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/stowaway_IR.htm

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2382

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage