MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
airjrdn

Reged: 05/30/04
The bare basics
      #11555 - 05/31/04 09:48 AM

I'm looking for something that will allow me to connect to an 802.11 wireless network and browse the web at 800x600 or better. I don't need any additional functionality such as email, contact management, word processing, spreadsheets, etc. All I need is a wireless connection to the web for surfing while in range of an 802.11 wireless network.

Is there anything available that suits my needs?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FMN
PDA Addict

Reged: 06/27/03
Re: The bare basics [Re: airjrdn]
      #11630 - 06/01/04 04:25 PM

I have read something like this:
http://content.honeywell.com/yourhome/webpad/webpad.htm

Don't know if it's a real product or just concept. If you do a search on "web pad" you may find more like this one. I think ViewSonic makes one as well, but can't be sure.

PDAs are replacements of datebook organizers, so all of them will have some functions you said you didn't need.

airjrdn

Re: The bare basics [Re: FMN]
      #11631 - 06/01/04 04:34 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I couldn't find anything about buying the Webpad on their site, and the newest info seems around 1.5 years old.

As for the Viewsonic stuff, I'd stumbled across that myself. Most of what I found there was to control another PC. If I were at a hotel though, I might not have a PC to take control of. Not to mention the fact that it would be fairly slow.

There's a good chance I didn't see a Viewsonic model that does what I'm looking for though, did one stand out to you in particular?

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
      #11634 - 06/01/04 04:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

I couldn't find anything about buying the Webpad on their site, and the newest info seems around 1.5 years old.

As for the Viewsonic stuff, I'd stumbled across that myself. Most of what I found there was to control another PC. If I were at a hotel though, I might not have a PC to take control of. Not to mention the fact that it would be fairly slow.

There's a good chance I didn't see a Viewsonic model that does what I'm looking for though, did one stand out to you in particular?

If you are looking for laptop replacement with small size and lighter weight, check out some smaller devices: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/hpc.htm

As FMN mentioned, all PDAs will have PIM apps built-in and other software bundles for wireless and multimedia functions.

airjrdn

Re: The bare basics [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #11640 - 06/01/04 07:06 PM

Good info.

The Samsung NEXiO S160 tops out at 800x600 which I could live with, but for $1200 I'd just buy a laptop that would blow it out of the water. Not sure who they plan to sell those things to.

I'm looking for something for $400 absolute max, hence the reason I'm looking to give up everything but surfing (at typical resolutions).

I'm new to the handheld/pda market, so it may be that I'm just expecting too much, feel free to tell me if that's the case.

I realize smaller tends to mean more expensive, but when I can get a full blown notebook or subnotebook for $750 or so on any given day from Dell or one of the other major manufacturers, it's hard for me to justify spending anywhere close to that for the simple capability to browse the web wirelessly.

It's amazing to me there aren't devices like this that already exist. This is for my wife who does nothing more on her PC than surf, check email, and use Quicken. She's just wanting something to surf with when outside with the kids (10mo & 2yrs). She's not however, crazy about dropping a grand or more on a notebook replacement for her PC. My thought was, let's just find something that does just what you want, surf the net.

Little did I know I was asking for a product no one was offering.

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
      #11641 - 06/01/04 07:18 PM

Well, maybe a smartphone with bigger screen than the regular phone could do the trick. I use the Sony Ericsson P800 http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/sony_ericsson_P800.htm which I got for a little over $100 with T-Mobile activation. You can surf the web, check emails, make phone calls and enjoy all other PDA features.

Check out more smartphones here:

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/smartphone.htm

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3850

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage