Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> Dell Pocket PC

Pages: 1
Prefrosh

Reged: 05/25/04
X30 312/624: Value vs. Performance
      #11598 - 06/01/04 03:40 PM

Hey all,

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a Dell X30 here in the near future. I'm stuck between getting the blazing fast 624 processor or saving a hundred bucks and going with the 312.

Can anybody give me an explanation of the real-world performance difference between the two, or whether or not the extra power is really worth it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: X30 312/624: Value vs. Performance [Re: Prefrosh]
      #11635 - 06/01/04 09:56 PM

Well, for the vast majority of things, the 312 will be fast enough. Experientially, they feel very similar (I have both). So far, apps have been designed well for the slower processors and don't beg for 624 MHz. Now there may well be apps, especially games and multimedia, that do take advantage of the faster processor in the future. So if you're worried that your Axim won't be up to the task a year from now, the 624 might give you a bit of insurance. If you're not a heavy gamer and movie-watcher, then the 312 should suffice. I think the 624MHz processor will make much more sense in VGA Pocket PCs, when they come out, since those demand more not only of the graphics processor, but the main CPU itself.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Prefrosh

Reged: 05/25/04
Re: X30 312/624: Value vs. Performance [Re: LisaG]
      #11649 - 06/02/04 01:37 AM

I see. I think i'll go with the 312, then, since I'm not terribly into games and movie watching will be reserved to the laptop and TV's. Thanks for your help!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5236

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage