I'm headed to grad school in August, and a friend is helping me fund a PDA purchase. I've posted here before but my usage priorities have changed a bit.
In no particular order, I'm looking for a device that:
1. Has pretty good PIM and/or pre-installed organization software.
2. Accepts standard-type software e.g. stuff available thru Hangango, via expansion slot or sync. (This means, alas, no Blackberry.)
3. Is compatible with an external full-size keyboard so I can compose and edit (and keep full formatting) word processing and spreadsheet documents. I'm kind of intrigued by the bluetooth keyboard reviewed on this site that lets you place the PDA anywhere you want in relation to where you're typing.
4. Has decent screen resolution with variable font sizes (I'm used to my desktop's 17" 1280x1024 flat panel, hee hee).
5. Doesn't really have to have email or internet or wireless capability. I want to be productive and organized, not dawdle. And I'm pretty addicted to email and internet as it is.
6. Is durable enough to get accidently dropped once in a while, and has a good service plan.
7. Has the ability to use digital video data (playback) - I will be a grad student in sign language linguistics. Someone in my dept recommended getting a Mac laptop, but I'd rather have something smaller and lighter with a PDA form-factor. Again, my desktop is an XP, but my department's computer lab is all Macs. As I understand it, PPCs are not Mac-compatible, and I think Palm devices can download data to and from both Macs and PCs.
I'm open to PPC or Palm OS. I'm seriously considering Palm T3 (does the slider feature attract dust or tend to break?), Axim X30 or maybe Zire 72.
I thought I wanted a Toshiba e805 due to VGA (easier to compose documents, and easier on the eyes) but that may be overkill (and bigger/heavier/easier to drop!). It's also pretty bleeding-edge, and even with the WM 2003 second edition OS upgrade, I don't want to have to deal with software compatibility issues. (?) If only there were a VGA resolution, Mac- and PC-compatible device...