MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Blairboy

Reged: 05/27/04
P80900US vs P80900ML3
      #11547 - 05/31/04 07:15 AM

Anybody know what the real difference between these two versions is? What exactly is different about the international (P80900ML3) vs the regular US version?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: P80900US vs P80900ML3 [Re: Blairboy]
      #11560 - 05/31/04 06:06 PM

Sorry, not sure what those numbers refer to.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Blairboy

Re: P80900US vs P80900ML3 [Re: LisaG]
      #11565 - 05/31/04 06:52 PM

The different versions of Tungsten C.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#11569 - 05/31/04 07:25 PM

Don't know for sure if this is the case with the C, but generally international models have EFIGS (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish) language resources in ROM while the US versions have only English. Also some European countries use a few WiFi channels we don't in the US, so there many be support for those.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Blairboy

#11578 - 05/31/04 08:54 PM

I'm just curious, because the international is cheaper than the US.

Gander

Reged: 05/31/04
      #11595 - 06/01/04 01:48 PM

Quote:

Don't know for sure if this is the case with the C, but generally international models have EFIGS (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish) language resources in ROM while the US versions have only English. Also some European countries use a few WiFi channels we don't in the US, so there many be support for those.

Lisa,
I believe it isn't merely "... some European countries use a few WiFi channels we don't in the US...", but that their regulatory bodies have divided up the 2.4 GHx spectrum differently, and thus the US and European channels do not really mesh. The radios (or at least the firmware) is different, and may lead to incompatibilities when going back and forth.

Of course, when I was with Cisco, and I traveled to Europe, my WiFi laptop card seemed to work fine, so it is probably regulatory mumbo jumbo for the most part.

Geoff - the newbie

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: P80900US vs P80900ML3 [Re: Gander]
      #11604 - 06/01/04 05:50 PM

Generally these European devices support both US and European WiFi channels and frequencies (in case users travel). And there are plenty of overlapping frequencies so US models will work in Europe (though they won't pick up the extended channels).

--------------------
Lisa Gade

idx

Reged: 06/28/04
      #12660 - 06/28/04 05:45 PM

Just bought a tungsten C last week and ended up receiving the P80900ML3 instead of the US version. I could have sworn I checked all the model numbers correctly, but that's for me and the vendor to work out. (not sure if it was a mistake, but I certainly didn't pay more just to receive the wrong model)

At any rate besides the extra languages in the unit and manual, it seems the same as my friend's US version. (comes with ~5 power adapter face plates you can snap on for whatever country you're in.) I applied the 2.0 update ( http://www.palmone.com/us/support/tungstenc/ ) for US/CA versions and it worked fine. I tried to go through the steps for the intl update, but was tired of viewing non-english pages.

So far, so good. wifi at home worked fine (router is G on chan #3) and also worked well with my uninformed neighbors who haven't secured their routers.

Hopefully the intl version wont bite me down the road with some kind of incompatibility. (also still seems odd the US version is more expensive)

?

-r

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4216

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage