Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Windows Phone

Pages: 1
equus0400

Reged: 06/18/04
Loc: Milpitas,CA
XDA question...
      #12718 - 06/29/04 07:19 PM

OK, I am thinking of switching carriers. I am with VZW now. I would like to know is the XDA by T-Mobile stable(fairly) and the phone sound quality.I am in the look out for going into something different. I am using the i700 at the moment.Also I am on the west coast and travel a lot to Alaska and Hawaii and sure the WA and OR areas, and want to know if any user here has signal quality issues with GSM. I HAVE to have my phone WORKING as I am what is called "the buck stops here guy" for my company and cannot afford to lose or drop a call while talking to an irate consumer...

--------------------
I thaw a putty tat..I did..I did

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: XDA question... [Re: equus0400]
      #12744 - 06/30/04 01:03 AM

The original XDA (called the T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone here in the US) is a bit dated and is now more than 2 years old. You can get the 2003 OS, but it has the old 206MHz StrongARM processor (not XScale), non-user replaceable battery, no SDIO and the screen isn't transflective. It will pale in comparison to the i700.

Here's the full review: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tmobile.htm

If you can stomach the price, the XDA II is a much better device, that outstrips the i700 on specs and speed. http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/XDA_II.htm . The one caveat is that it's sold by importers in the US, so you don't have the luxury of a lenient 15 day return policy as you do when you buy a phone from a carrier. Since coverage is an issue for you, I'd suggest getting a phone sold by T-Mobile such as the Nokia 3660, Nokia 6600 or the Sony Ericsson T610. The Nokias have great RF, but the SE T610 is a little weak compared to the XDA II. You can get great deals on Amazon, and can return the phone and cancel service if you're unhappy. If you find that one of these phones works for you in terms of reception, then you can go ahead and buy the XDA II from an importer, knowing your area has good coverage. And heck, if you buy from Amazon and are happy with T-Mobile in your area, you've gotten a free backup phone .

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

equus0400

Re: XDA question... [Re: LisaG]
      #12897 - 07/03/04 05:26 PM

I think I will go with the Nokia first..try out the coverage...then wait around to see what "converged devices" are at the next turn ..Thanks for the honest advice..I did call T-Mobile and got my number ported already...and terminated VZW....Keep you informed..now a lot of my old friends who are on VZW..DONOT want to call me as they have to pay to call me....!!!!

--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#12898 - 07/03/04 05:36 PM

Wow, you ported your number already! Hope T-Mobile works out well for you.

We're in a wireless dead zone that extends two blocks (even VZW gets a weak signal) so I just installed a small repeater. Great reception now!

--------------------
Lisa Gade

equus0400

#12901 - 07/03/04 06:39 PM

Yeah...it was not that bad after all..Umm..how is the repeater working for you? Was it a lot of installation hassle or pretty straight forward?

--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#12903 - 07/03/04 07:04 PM

It was exceptionally easy to set up! I got the cheapie one from www.jdteck.com ($365) while most that are more powerful and serve more phones cost $500 to $685. To cover a large house you'd probably want the more powerful one, but we don't have a large area to serve. www.cellantenna.com also sells a $500 one.

For 1900MHz GSM bands, you get a flat panel exterior antenna (it's quite small-- about 7" x 7" x 2"), a 30 foot length of 50ohm coax cable to run from the antenna to the indoor repeater box, the repeater box itself and an indoor antenna (4" pole) that attaches to the repeater. All the connectors and hardware are included, even mounting hardware. Simply put the external panel antenna outside facing towards the cell tower(second floor wall or on the roof, we have it on the 2nd floor wall since I don't dig jogging on the roof). The indoor repeater should be at least 20' away to avoid oscillation. You must mount the panel antenna vertically (i.e. panel flat against the wall) since cellular/PCS signals are vertical. I tried laying it flat, aiming at the sky and got nada *doh* . The small, low powered unit we got has moved our weaker RF phones from 1 bar to 3 in the room where the repeater is located. Though the repeater isn't supposed to cover more than one floor, it has actually improved reception in the room directly below.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

equus0400

#12905 - 07/03/04 07:25 PM

That's interesting to note that there are so many repeaters with such a wide range in prices..I am glad it is working for you..surprisingly I have very good reception here and in fact I have all four bars on the old nokia I am using with T-Mobile!!!

--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#12906 - 07/03/04 08:42 PM

That's awesome, equus! And aren't T-Mobile's rates great compared to VZW? Which Nokia are you using?

There are a large range of repeaters available going up to $3500 for commercial use. The ones used in some carrier stores costs around $1000, I hear. The "low end" ones I mentioned are for SOHO and home use. The high end ones cover a reasonable sized office building or more.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

equus0400

#12910 - 07/03/04 10:04 PM

A free 3660 !!!...

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8523

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage