MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
lido72

Reged: 07/03/04
Sony CLIE TH55 vs. palmOne Tungsten T3
      #12911 - 07/03/04 06:17 PM

Diffculty deciding between the two. I like the T3 with it's capabilities to synch with outlook, however, the horror stories for the tech support is frightening. The Sony Clie has brand name, plus most reviews from tech people to regular consumers are great. Please if you can share experiences.

I do not really need to access the internet, but I do want the MP3 player. I do lots of work transfering excel/word files and have a huge contact database. Basically, I work on the road/car.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rborden

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Oregon
Re: Sony CLIE TH55 vs. palmOne Tungsten T3 [Re: lido72]
      #12945 - 07/05/04 05:01 PM

I purchase a PalmOne Zire 72, I know its not the T3, and have had some problems. See my other post on this. I suffered the terrible customer service from PalmOne hell! Don't get me wrong, they are pleasant in their emails but have not offered any solutions. I have even offered to return it with all boxes, paperwork and receipt and they won't at this time. My unit is a month old! Go figure. I would buy the Sony TH55 hands down over any PalmOne product. Heaven forbid if you ever have a problem with your PalmOne PDA and you need their help.
Good luck and I hope this helps.
rborden

lido72

#12949 - 07/05/04 07:30 PM

Thanks! I'm still debating. I actually went to a local electronics store to play and hold the T3 and TH55. I waiver. The T3 screen seemed crisper and functions easier to manage ( I own a Handspring Visor). Overall the TH55 gets greater reviews (including consumer reports, Sony has better workmanship with all their experience with electronics. Of course, we all hope we don't have problems, but that's why we have these forums to work through them.

My requirements are simple: Contact manager, Synch with Outlook, Word and Excel, MP3 player, reliabilty...I am in my car majority of time...I think I read too many reviews, commentts...

Any other suggestions appreciated...

tonyw

Reged: 05/24/04
Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
      #13258 - 07/14/04 07:46 PM

I initially had my eyes on the T3. Had it in my sights for a long time (coveted it for months). But when I learned that Sony offered PDAs with Palm OS, the TH55 came out way ahead. T3 dropped to a far 2nd. The main things were the differences in customer reviews, T3 had more negative reviews than TH55. Also, for my needs, I got more for my money with the TH55 than the T3.

I use the TH55 like a laptop substitute with keyboard, SnapperMail for email with attachments, AvantGo for news, Docs to Go premium for Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. Funny, I don't use it as much for the address book or calendar.

If you are considering a TH55, you should act fast as there aren't many left on the market as Sony is pulling out of the PDA market outside of Japan.

-Tony

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Sony CLIE TH55 vs. palmOne Tungsten T3 [Re: tonyw]
      #13288 - 07/15/04 08:25 PM

I've had my T3 since Feb, nothing has gone broken so far. (Knock on wood) I've put tons of apps on it, tested many accessories with it, so far it has hold up for me. I'm happy with the purchase.

The only thing that I wish it'd been better is the battery life. If you play MP3 for a few hours, you will need to charge the unit. TH55 is a bit better at managing battery life than the T3.

lido72

I bought the T-3 for the following reasons.... [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #13295 - 07/15/04 10:14 PM

I ended up buying the T-3. I really struggled with the reviews of the T-3. However, I became more and more comfortable reading the different forums at this site and other sites. I made my decision after going to Fryes and Circuit City and testing both items. I felt the T-3 was more user-friendly. The biggest selling point: the screen is absolutely crystal clear. And that is after after testing them at both store. Now, I'm looking for a good case. Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards the aluminum cases because I don't want too much bulk in my pockets.

Thanks to this site. Extremely helpful with reviews and forums!

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: I bought the T-3 for the following reasons.... [Re: lido72]
      #13308 - 07/16/04 12:02 PM

Congrats!! The large and nice screen is a huge plus when you need to view Excel sheets, read ebooks and play games that support hi-res plus.

As for cases, we have a round up case review that cover some of the T3 cases:

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/Palm_T3_cases.htm

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5642

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage