MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Miscellaneous

Pages: 1
ET3D

Reged: 07/09/04
Buy the Psion keyboard design already!
      #13074 - 07/09/04 02:21 AM

I keep seeing these potentially nice PDAs and micro-notebooks with those tiny keyboards, and it makes me sick just looking at those rubber things. Psion has had really great keyboards for this form factor years ago. I have a 5mx, and the keyboard, though small, is great, and the device is very usable for putting in the lap (as long as your legs are close together), on a tray or anywhere else, and just typing. The screen is in the right angle. It's just so useful. All I want is the newer technology -- fast CPU, high res colour screen, wireless communication, that kind of stuff. So every time I see a new power PDA or micro-notebook, I'm very enthusiastic, until I see the keyboard (or lack of one, as in the case of the Sony U50). So I just want to tell the companies: get your #$&*ing keyboard design right!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Buy the Psion keyboard design already! [Re: ET3D]
      #13130 - 07/11/04 04:37 PM

The 5mx did have a wonderful keyboard and it's true that not much else comes close. Though the NEC MobilePro 900 has a notebook sized keyboard (but is bigger than a PDA) and the Sharp Zaurus C760/C860 reviewed on this site are quite small yet have excellent keyboards that I find just as usuable as the 5mx keyboard.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

ET3D

Reged: 07/09/04
Re: Buy the Psion keyboard design already! [Re: LisaG]
      #13176 - 07/12/04 12:06 PM

The Zauruses do sound pretty cool, but I'd have to actually try the keyboard to believe it's good enough. I almost-touch-type on the 5mx, that is, I can type with more than a finger at a time and don't have to look. The Zaurus seems a bit small for that, perhaps equivalent to the Revo, which I have to thumb type on (my first keyboard PDA was the Revo, I then bought the 5mx). There's a huge difference.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4658

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage