MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
CraigB

Reged: 07/08/04
Wanted: Something to run iTunes remotely
      #13067 - 07/08/04 07:27 PM

First of all, I'm a complete PDA/notebook/laptop newbie who's only running networked PC's with Windows 2000 Pro currently (although I do own a PDA as mentioned below). I've run desktops and mainframes for almost 30 years though, so I'm not new to computers.

Here's what I want to do:

I want to have a PC stored in a room somewhere with all of my CD's imported to it (in the new iTunes lossless compressed format). This PC will be part of a wireless LAN (wireless G actually).

I would then use Apple's AirPort Express stations at stereos in various rooms throughout the house (e.g., Living Room, Game Room and Bedroom).

What I would like, is SOMETHING (PDA, subnotebook, or ???) to run the iTunes frontend which will access the actual songs from the PC as network drive(s), in other words, I won't be keeping any of the music files on this device (I'd need about 0.3 terrabytes to hold everything!). I know that all of the above is possible with a laptop, so what I really want to know is what would be the best device to take with me from room to room that can still run iTunes and be part of my wireless network.

I currently have an HP Jornada 520 (which, long story... , I've never used and just found while unpacking a box). Unfortunately, I was told by Apple that iTunes won't run on Windows for PocketPC (which is what's on the Jornada 520), so this new device must be able to run Windows XP, Windows 2000 or Mac OS X v10.3 (as long as the Mac can still access network drives located on a Windows 2000 PC).

So what do you guys think would be the best device for this? Will I have to end up with something that is completely overkill? And, for giggles, can the device(s) you recommend also be used as a programmable remote? I think it would be great to control all of my audio/video components as well as selecting music all from the same device.

Thanks for your comments!

Craig

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CraigB

Reged: 07/08/04
Re: Wanted: Something to run iTunes remotely [Re: CraigB]
      #13098 - 07/10/04 01:39 AM

Anyone?

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Wanted: Something to run iTunes remotely [Re: CraigB]
      #13122 - 07/11/04 01:17 PM

Interesting idea...haven't tried it. Remote control for everything in your entertainment collection is easy on any PDA, both Pocket PCs and Palm have remote control software. Example: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/software/NoviiRemote.htm

To access the components (iPod and others) takes a bit more to do. Check out modules like this one: http://www.simeda.com/pocketster.html Since I don't have the set up you do, can't tell you how or if it will work. But I'm sure you can find something if you did a search on the Net.

Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2743

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage