MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> 802.11b / WiFi cards and networking

Pages: 1
jawojnicki

Reged: 07/04/04
WiFi vs. Bluetooth (Is there a clear winner??)
      #12950 - 07/05/04 08:09 PM

I still haven't bought my first PDA because it's all so confusing as to which is the best one.

Can ANYONE please answer these questions related to WiFi and Bluetooth for me?

1. If I get a PDA with only WiFi capabilities and I only have a single home PC that is not networked but does have cable broadband net access, what other things do I need to buy in order to use my PDA's wireless internet abilities?

2. If I buy all that stuff, will I only ever have wireless PDA net access if I am within 150 feet from my desktop OR are there a lot of free WiFi WAP's around (i.e. in Starbucks, etc.)??

3. If I have a Bluetooth enabled cell phone and I pay for the web access through my cell phone company, does this mean I'll have PDA web access anywhere I take my phone??

4. Do cell phone companies offer WiFi web access as well as (or in lieu of) bluetooth?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help.

P.S. Any other pros/cons to either Bluetooth or WiFi you can offer would be welcomed.)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: WiFi vs. Bluetooth (Is there a clear winner??) [Re: jawojnicki]
      #13143 - 07/11/04 05:27 PM

Quote:

1. If I get a PDA with only WiFi capabilities and I only have a single home PC that is not networked but does have cable broadband net access, what other things do I need to buy in order to use my PDA's wireless internet abilities?

You could get a WiFi 802.11b access point for about $50 to provide a WiFi connection to your PDA (and any other WiFi enabled PDAs or notebooks you purchase in the future).

Quote:

2. If I buy all that stuff, will I only ever have wireless PDA net access if I am within 150 feet from my desktop OR are there a lot of free WiFi WAP's around (i.e. in Starbucks, etc.)??

Most places charge a fee for WiFi access (Starbucks does).

Quote:

3. If I have a Bluetooth enabled cell phone and I pay for the web access through my cell phone company, does this mean I'll have PDA web access anywhere I take my phone??

Yes.

Quote:

4. Do cell phone companies offer WiFi web access as well as (or in lieu of) bluetooth?

Yes, T-Mobile does (Starbucks offers T-Mobile WiFi service). Sprint, AT&T and Verizon are starting to get into that business as well.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4496

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage