MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> Dell Pocket PC

Pages: 1
Bleyn

Reged: 06/15/04
X30 wireless config
      #13159 - 07/11/04 08:47 PM

I've got a question on configuring the wireless with my X30.

My parents have a wireless router with 802.11g at home. Currently it's just used to allow their laptop to network with their desktop, and connect out to the internet through the desktop's dial-up connection(when its online).

I'd like to be able to configure my X30 to do the same when I'm over there. I configured the router to give it an IP in the DHCP group. The X30 did recieve that IP, and it even picked up the IP addresses of the ISPs DNS from the router. But it couldn't get out beyond the LAN to the net.

This should work, right? If so, any thoughts on what might be going on?

Thanks,
Luke

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bleyn

Re: X30 wireless config [Re: ]
      #13832 - 07/29/04 03:42 AM

Quote:

After you turn on the WiFi by pushing the button on the lower right corner, when you go into Dell's WLAN manager, do you see the access point there?

Yes. It would be sort of hard to know that the IP addys were being handed off to the PPC from the WAP, if it weren't showing up in there. Accessing the WAP isn't the issue. It's getting things set up right so the PPC can get routed through the WAP and the internet connection to the outside world.

Kikuchiyo

Reged: 04/15/04
Re: X30 wireless config [Re: Bleyn]
      #13881 - 07/30/04 07:31 PM

There's a couple things that could be causing this. One might be interference from the wifi power managment. Unfortunately, power management defaults to either ON or OFF, and can't be changed. There's a hack for it at:

SilentKnight PPC software hacks

Alternately, there may be something at the router end. Is WEP enabled? Do they have MAC addressing on to limit number of and identity of devices?

Bleyn

Re: X30 wireless config [Re: Kikuchiyo]
      #13882 - 07/30/04 08:11 PM

Quote:

There's a couple things that could be causing this. One might be interference from the wifi power managment. Unfortunately, power management defaults to either ON or OFF, and can't be changed. There's a hack for it at:

SilentKnight PPC software hacks

Alternately, there may be something at the router end. Is WEP enabled? Do they have MAC addressing on to limit number of and identity of devices?

Can't remember off hand if I'd turned WEP on or off on the router when I config'ed it, and the first thing I did in trying to set up the PPC with the router was assign the MAC address for the PPC to an IP on the router.

The problem is not communications between the router and the PPC. They see each other just fine. The problem appears to be configuring everything so that internet requests from the PPC go through the router, to the desktop machine with the dial-up connect, and out to the internet.

In fact, I'm starting to think it may be either a matter of the PPC not getting the right gateway IP to know that its supposed to send those requests to the desktop machine, or just plain inherent in the fact that the desktop is running ME, and I'm relying in part on ME's ICS software to actually work. (and yes, I know, this would be a lot easier with a broadband connection, but you have to convince my parents of that one)

But I will definitely try turning wireless power management off on the PPC next time I'm visiting and get a chance to try it.

Bleyn

Re: X30 wireless config [Re: Bleyn]
      #13906 - 07/31/04 02:52 PM

I've looked at it some more, and have basically found that it's an issue with the gateway address. The Axim is being given the router IP as the gateway. What it needs is the LAN IP of the desktop with the dialup as the gateway.

Anyone know if there's a way to adjust that in the Axim, or is it something that has to come from the router?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6696

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage