MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Charles

Reged: 08/11/04
Upgrade from Handspring Visor to palmOne Zire 31
      #14317 - 08/11/04 04:52 PM

I currently own a Handspring Visor. Hopefully it will last a few more years, but who knows ? and I could always drop it! I?ve been checking reviews to see what I might move to when the time comes and am considering the palmOne Zire 31. I do have a couple of concerns, however, and hope someone here can reassure me.

I love the ability to replace my batteries with disposable AAA?s, since it makes traveling easy. I know the new PDAs don?t have that, and I am wondering how easy it is to recharge on the road (I use it as a portable book when traveling, so I know I could not get by on one charge). Would I have to carry my computer or can it charge without it?

Secondly, is it possible to backup the Zire without having my computer? I?ve had my Visor die a couple of times on the road, and the expandable backup device has saved my bacon.

Finally, I have a number of programs I don?t want to live without: TealScript makes entering data much easier, DateBook5 has my life on it, HandyShopper has all kinds of information, and CorrectHack speeds things up. Will these programs still work?

Thanks a million for any help you can provide.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Upgrade from Handspring Visor to palmOne Zire 31 [Re: Charles]
      #14398 - 08/13/04 02:30 PM

1) You won't need to carry your computer in order to charge your PDA. The Zire 31 comes with a charger. All you need is a wall A/C outlet.

2) You can do the same thing with the Zire 31. You can back up the info onto an SD card, as opposed to an expansion module on the Handspring. See this page for SD card reviews:
http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/storage.htm If you have very sensive data, you can check out these secure back up cards pre-loaded with software that help you back up the data:
http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/software/MDM_backup.htm

3) The Zire 31 should run everything you have for the Visor, except something that's hacked for the Handspring specifically. They run the same Palm OS with different versions and most the software will support them. Teal series, DateBk5 and Handyshopper will have no trouble running on the Zire.

Charles

Reged: 08/11/04
Re: Upgrade from Handspring Visor to palmOne Zire 31 [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #14652 - 08/21/04 05:22 PM

Thanks. That's just what I needed to know.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1953

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage