Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Bluetooth

Pages: 1
MichaelS

Reged: 08/11/04
T3 to DBT-900AP
      #14334 - 08/11/04 08:31 PM

Lisa,

I have read many posts here and elsewhere regarding Palm, Bluetooth, & Access Points. I purchased a D-Link AP as it was the most cost efficient and I liked its size and D-Link products in general. Several problems regarding Pass Phrase and setup have been fixed by D-Link with a utility program but as yet I have seen no mention of anyone getting it to work with any Palm let alone my T3.

Some say the D-Link won't work because the Palm lacks support for the PAN & LAN BT profiles but according to Palm's roadmap entitled "Bluetooth: Connecting Palm powered Handhelds", file name Palm_bluetooth_mwp_r1.pdf, (found on the Palm Website) originally written on 10/29/01 and modified 07/17/04. States that:

"Scenario 3: Collaboration
Now moving out of the realm of the ordinary, this scenario shows multiple Bluetooth-enabled devices in proximity to one another forming an ad hoc peer-to-peer network,
sometimes called a piconet or personal area network (PAN). Here up to eight devices can communicate and share information simultaneously."

Later it states, "In this scenario an unobtrusive LAN access point positioned permanently in a room can provide wireless connectivity simultaneously to multiple devices within range (10 to 100 meters, depending on the model). An access point can connect devices to an intranet as well as to the Internet.

These hot spots can be installed in meeting rooms, classrooms, malls, airport lounges, hotel lobbies, and the like, creating a ?cloud? of wireless access opportunities?public, private, and semiprivate?to personal and location-specific information. Examples using Bluetooth for network access include:
? Using access points for Web browsing or e-mail download
? Connecting to your company?s intranet from inside a conference room
? Downloading or uploading homework assignments in a Bluetooth-enabled classroom
..."

The question of Palm?s support of PAN and LAN topic seems mute, if this document is
In fact how BT is enabled it is implemented on the T3.

The D-Link DBT-900 works fine as an access point from either my Mac or my PC using three different vendors USB BT adaptors (D-Link, IO-Gear & CompUSA labeled) under OS X 10.3.5 & XP (SP1 and now SP2).

Do you have any idea what the problem is between these two devices (or the Palm in general (or with APs as I have read here and elsewhere). Is Palm addressing the issue? Is their a fix in the process? (my T3 purchased July 4th has the November upgrade installed).

I realize that BT is _still_ not as common place at 802.11a/b/g, but an Access Point should be just that ... according to Palm's BT published data Palm supports BT AP, if it does why doesn't it work or why is so understood?

BTW, I have been using BT for three years now with Sony Ericsson phones and headsets as well as a remote control for iTunes (Salling Software's fine "Salling Clicker (for Sony Ericsson and Palms devices), so I am not mystified about BT, just angry that a simple concept has been so poorly implemented / documented by Palm.

Thanks for any help you or others can give me.

Michael Sullivan
San Antonio, TX

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3746

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage