MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Batch

Reged: 08/16/04
Revive my Handspring or buy a new PDA?
      #14450 - 08/16/04 10:13 AM

A few years ago a colleague gave me a Handspring Visor. I didn't use it very much but now I have a new job and I believe it could greatly assist me. I am on the road a bit and need easy access to my schedule and contacts.

My problem is I lost my Handspring cradle AND cd-rom software. I need any PDA to be able to synch to my new computer (Dell) and Lotus Notes (we don't use Microsoft Office).

I guess I have three questions:
1- Will I be able to find a replacement Handspring Visor cradle somewhere and software to synch with Lotus Notes?
2- If NO to question 1, I assume I will have to purchase a new PDA. Any suggestions on a cheap (under $150) PDA where my main concerns are maintaining contacts, appointments, backing up my information (I just lost ALL of my contacts when the batteries died) and perhaps a few games?
3- Obviously I am a PDA novice and don't know about the new features that have come along the past couple years. I don't need a digital camera- or even a color screen- but are there some new business-oriented features I should look into even if it bumps up the price a bit? I use Microsoft Word and Excel a lot from my desktop and I am constantly updating task lists.

Thanks!
Batch

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Revive my Handspring or buy a new PDA? [Re: Batch]
      #14467 - 08/16/04 10:14 PM

You should still be able to find sync cables and cradles for the Visor.

Intellisync from www.pumatech.com will allow you to sync with Lotus.

For office apps, check out our review: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/software/palm_office.htm . These apps will run on a Visor as well as new Palm OS PDAs.

That said, a color screen really is easier on the eyes and makes for a more pleasant experience overall. Plus newer devices have 2x the resolution of the old Handspring devices. Take a look at the PalmOne Zire 31 and the Sony TJ27 reviewed on this site-- they're both quite affordable and have color displays (the Sony's is better than the Zire 31's).

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1614

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage