Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Palm Inc.

Pages: 1
schmoppa

Reged: 08/16/04
PalmOne reliability?
      #14452 - 08/16/04 11:26 AM

Hello All,

I am looking to buy a PDA, and am somewhat put-off by all the negative reviews I've read on Amazon.com for current PalmOne models (believe me, there are plenty of negative reviews for various PocketPC models as well).

Of course, I would think that people who are satisfied with their purchase don't usually go and praise a product as much as those who are dissatisfied go and diss a product in a review. But still...

This is essentially what I've found: terrible tech support, bad or short battery life (sometimes they spontaneously turn on and drain the battery), terrible paint for Zire 72, products die shortly after the warrantee expires (90 days!!), buzzing noises when plugged in, crashing when downloading freeware to PDA.

though regarding the 90 day warrantee, one person said this: dont listen to people babbling on about the 90 day warranty. As long as you get this PDA from a self-respecting retail store, youll automatically get a one-year warranty from them. And you can purchase an extended warranty for about $20 or so. For something this cheap, they'll most likely replace your PDA right away if there's a serious problem. Check with them first.

Anyways, what are your experiences with any current PalmOne devices? And how long have you had yours? I'm strongly considering a Tungsten T3 (can get from Buy.com for about $288 after some online stackable coupons).

Thanks!

EDIT: has anybody tried the Tapwave Zodiac?

Also: any rumors of when a new model will be available?

Edited by schmoppa (08/16/04 12:02 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sparta

Reged: 08/20/04
Re: PalmOne reliability? [Re: schmoppa]
      #14600 - 08/20/04 08:07 AM

Your question is timely.

I bought a Zire71 last fall and it has been replaced 3 times. Now, just a week after the most recent warranty, it FAILED AGAIN.

I've had it with these things...And, you're right, tech support is atrocious.

Good luck.

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
      #14618 - 08/20/04 04:28 PM

Here is our review of the Zodiac:

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/Tapwave_Zodiac.htm

our unit is still working well.

walnut

Reged: 09/18/04
      #15584 - 09/18/04 07:24 PM

hi,

youre right. palmone sucks bigtime. all the points u mentioned are true. but regarding the warranty, it depends on the model. for example, the t3 has a 1yr hardware warranty, and free 3 month tech support. it doesnt make a difference where u buy the palm. some stores offer their own warranty (officemax for example) but i have no idea regarding those. the t3 is a good piece :-)

regards,
walnut

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4567

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage