MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
PDA_Wannabe

Reged: 08/20/04
T3 V. iPaq H4150
      #14597 - 08/20/04 08:37 AM

Hi all. I've narrowed my buysing decision to the T3 and the iPaq H4150. There's an element of swings and roundabouts about which model is the best for our needs, but here is what we are looking for.

1. Perfect Entourage (Mac) and Outlook 2000 syncing - I know you need something like PocketMac for the iPaq, but allowing for this extra purchase how do they compare? Outlook syncing on my old Psion was sometimes flakey, and it was not possible at all on the Mac, so I'd really want this to be good.

2. Really good Word/Excel transfer. How does DocumentsToGo compare with Pocket Word/Excel?

3. Mobile Phone connectivity. Year ago, it was easy to pick up a Nokia-Palm connection pack, but now it's all Bluetooth. Can I still get an old-style data cable that will connect to my Nokia 3100 for these units?

4. Durability. I have a paranoia about expensive portable devices that feel a bit flimsy and have fragile moving parts. Is the sliding door on the T3 just something to end up loose or broken?

5. Keyboard. On the Psion 5 the keyboard was amazing. I could regularly type in a few thousand words on a train journey, create complex spreadsheets, check streetmaps of where I was going. It was like having a pocket-sized basic laptop. The T3 can use the slimline Palm keyboard, which is approaching the usability of the Psion, but I have no idea about the HP. I don't really want a bluetooth keyboard - won't this just drain the battery for no real advantage?

6. Wi-Fi. I've never used Wi-Fi, so this might just be going after a feature for the sake of a feature, but will I want this? It's not currently possible with the T3, is it?

Is there anything else I should consider in choosing between these models, or is there another model I should be looking at too?

David Hammonds

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: T3 V. iPaq H4150 [Re: PDA_Wannabe]
      #14617 - 08/20/04 09:08 PM

1. Entourage is a tough one. Check out http://www.markspace.com/ for both Palm and Pocket PC.

2. Docs To Go actually does a better job than the Pocket versions of Office apps.

3. Check www.thesupplynet.com for cables connecting PDAs with cellphones.

4. So far the T3 slider design has not caused any problems. I've had mine for nearly a year and haven't experienced any problem under very heavy use. Getting a good protective case is highly recommended.

5. I use the slim keyboard that's very close to touch type on the laptop with exception of some key layout. Check this page for the keyboard selections: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/keyboards.htm

6. As for Wifi, if you have access points set up at home or work, or use hotspots when travel, this is a useful feature. The SD WiFi card for the T3 will be released by palmOne in Sept.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1668

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage