MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Palm Inc.

Pages: 1
Bunkeeburns

Reged: 08/25/04
New member with a couple of questions
      #14754 - 08/25/04 09:04 AM

I have never used a Palm before and am considering the Tungsten T3 primary for it?s features and the ability to connect to the Internet via bluetooth. I have no access to Wi-Fi where I would be using the Palm and accessing the Internet so that is not an option.

I have Kyocera 3235 cell phone but the problem is my phone is not BT capable. To the best of my knowledge, my service provider Alltel, offers no BT phones at all. Alltel was the first cellular company in my area many years ago and has the largest coverage for where I live in South Carolina therefore I am reluctant to change simply for the sake of using a Palm.

Short of having to change service provides in order to get a BT capable phone, is there are way to connect to the internet using some sort of data cable or card that will accomplish that? Would installing a bluetooth card work?

I currently use my cell phone with a data connectivity cable as a modem for my Toshiba laptop. The great thing about using the phone to connect in this manner is that on nights and weekends there is no additional charge unlike the other provides that offer the Treo 600 but require you to purchase additional services to connect to the Internet.

As a last resort I may consider Treo 600 with a different service provider. The palm specs page on the T3 states: REMOTE EMAIL AND INTERNET ACCESS REQUIREMENTS: Requires an Internet Service Provider account and a data enabled phone or modem, or a Bluetooth Network Access Point (not included).

My phone acts as the modem so therefore, it seems like this would work; I?m just not sure what I need.

Thank you in advance for any help you may could proide me on this issue.

--------------------
I finally managed to teach my dogs to beg. Last night they came home with $15.00

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: New member with a couple of questions [Re: Bunkeeburns]
      #14758 - 08/25/04 11:56 AM

If you can find a data cable that connects your phone and the T3, you can use the phone the same as you use it with your laptop. One place sells these cables is www.thesupplynet.com, but if you do a search on the web you will probably find more. Look around on these sites, you may find a cable that supports these two devices.

Most carriers will require you to purchase additional data plan on top of your voice plan. But it's not all that bad. I have T-Mobile and pay $5/mon for unlimited data, which means I can access the internet anytime I want, not just off peak hours.

AngieCox

Reged: 08/25/04
Loc: Westerville, Ohio, USA
Re: New member with a couple of questions [Re: Bunkeeburns]
      #14786 - 08/25/04 10:59 PM

Howdy,

I'm not really sure if this would work for you or not, because I don't know how Bluetooth does with sharing different types of internet connections, but the way I connect to the net on my T3 is with a Belkin USB Bluetooth Adapter, of course a Bluetooth card should work just as well, but the USB adapter might be a little cheaper than a PCMCIA card. (Either of these would be the Bluetooth Access Point that the requirements section is speaking of.) As for the adapter, it comes in 10 meter and 100 meter ranges (but don't waste your money on the 100 meter because the Bluetooth range on the T3 is only 10 meters). Anyway, if you try one of those and install it, it should , in theory, allow you to share your internet connection. There are some settings you have to work with on the T3 Network Connections, but there are several places that give very detailed instructions on setting it up. I'll be happy to send you a couple of those if you're interested in taking that route, just let me know.

Angie

--------------------
Got gaming news? Send it to gaming_news@pdabuyersguide.com

PDA Buyer's Guide
http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3797

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage